Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Not A Fan Of The GPZ 7000 Yet.. But Hope To Be Soon

Jin

On 4/15/2019 at 2:59 PM, Andyy said:

Firstly, I scrub the ground (because I can where I am at)

Secondly, I run more conservative settings with my sensitivity down in the 5 or less, area.  Everything else is pretty much like Northeast runs.  What I found is that when I went back to my patches, I got nothing more until I lowered my sensitivity.  When I did this, the ground noise went away and I heard deeper targets.

Overall,  when I switched to the ZED, I find many more smaller targets that the GPX5000 was not sensitive to get.  If you have pounded areas with your larger GPX coils, don't plan on the ZED getting too much more.  It all depends on your patch, I guess, and what you've already pounded it with.   I *do* find the ZED more sensitive to improper handling and requires (in general) a slower sweep than the GPX. 

But I still love that I can get almost everything I need with this one coil.  My only gripe is that the 14" coil does not fit in all the areas I want to put it.

Good luck!

Andy

Andy,

Do you know how big the fringe of the 14" coil is?  How close do you need to get to a can before you know something is there?  (And that is with the coil flat to the ground.  When you turn the coil perpendicular to the ground you see that can even farther away.)  All coils fringe detect and it is not necessary to get a nugget directly under the coil.  When people demonstrating a detector or a coil begin at the edge of the housing or winding they are not dealing in real world detecting.  My 14 sees a foot on either side of the housing.

I don't think you are missing as much as you might think with the larger coil.

Now from a weight and fun standpoint ... bring on a smaller coil.

Mitchel

Interesting, Mitchel.

I actually turn my coil to near perpendicular and touch the target areas in the 10 or 2 o'clock positions to better pinpoint the target.  walking up to the target in this manner (when out of the hole) will get your target in the scoop in a much shorter time.

My interest in the smaller coil is strictly for fitting it in the rocky areas.  This would save much time from having to placer an area to get a few more inches.  While it doesn't help much with can size targets, it helps greatly with the <1/2 gram targets, which unfortunately, account for the largest portion of my poke :)  I have tested this over and over again, and I almost always get two or more extra pieces of gold that I would have walked away from.

But to get back to your comment on "fringe" detecting, I agree that the edge fringe is really strong compared to other detectors.  You can really notice this when you are sitting next to you GPZ (trying to separate a small target from the scoop) and you have your pick too close by.  You will be there forever.  LOL

• Like 1

"...My interest in the smaller coil is strictly for fitting it in the rocky areas.  This would save much time from having to placer an area to get a few more inches.  While it doesn't help much with can size targets, it helps greatly with the <1/2 gram targets, which unfortunately, account for the largest portion of my poke ? I have tested this over and over again, and I almost always get two or more extra pieces of gold that I would have walked away from..."

Hi Andyy, This is exactly why I am hoping to help build a ground-swell for getting a smaller coil for the GPZ.