Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

How To Get A 7" X 10" Coil For Your Equinox

I was near a friend of mine who is a animal Vet and paid him a little visit.

He was able to X-ray my coil with his digital x-ray machine, and it looks like some type of semi-conductor in the coil mold.

Until I can figure out what it is I will not even begin to make a coil that will come close to what some are looking for.

I have a coil winder for motors that I have used in the past, but without knowing what  the semi-conductor is I would not know where to begin.

Does anyone know what this semi-conductor is and what it's function is.

Knowing that information would be a great help to me.

I think at the moment the best, is simply to modify the original Coil from Equinox to another shape, the size of the Coil.. for example, 6 "Coil to 5x7" or 4x8 "or similar ..

On 10/25/2019 at 11:56 PM, 2Valen said:

I was near a friend of mine who is a animal Vet and paid him a little visit.

He was able to X-ray my coil with his digital x-ray machine, and it looks like some type of semi-conductor in the coil mold.

Until I can figure out what it is I will not even begin to make a coil that will come close to what some are looking for.

I have a coil winder for motors that I have used in the past, but without knowing what  the semi-conductor is I would not know where to begin.

Does anyone know what this semi-conductor is and what it's function is.

Knowing that information would be a great help to me.

The chip enables the detector to confirm you have a compatble coil connected.  ML makes a 6" round coil for the CTX too.  They look similar and both can be connected to the detector, but if you hook the the incompatible CTX coil to the Equinox you will get an error code and the detector will not even boot into it's operational mode to let you attempt to use it.  So a third party could conceivably make a perfectly electrically compatible coil for Equinox, but without that smart chip, the Equinox will throw an error code and not allow that coil to be used with the detector.

• Like 2

Has anyone other than maybe Steve, and Andy S., (that should be enough!!!!) approached Minelab directly ( to Mark Lawrie for instance) about adding coils to there lineup?? Or getting direct conformation why not!  I'm still relatively new to the field, but have a good deal of technical experience! It boggles my mind that any manufacturer that has had so much short term success with one product would stonewall their loyal customers in this way, and allow the opportunity for another producer to steal their thunder!! Minelab could at least put out a "press release" as to why they chose only these coil sizes!

On 10/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, Chase Goldman said:

As posted on another forum, Debbie Smikoski a USA rep for Minelab, has responded via email to an Equinox user inquiring about V8 Equinox compatibility, that the V8 will definitely not be compatible with Equinox (he only asked about the V8).  She also went so far as to say that while ML was aware of the user interest in a coil of that form factor for Equinox, there were presently no concrete plans to provide such a coil for Equinox but did not rule it out for the future.  Soo, there you have it and I guess we'll see what happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

It boggles my mind that any manufacturer that has had so much short term success with one product would stonewall their loyal customers in this way, and allow the opportunity for another producer to steal their thunder!!

Like you said, you are still relatively new at this field so welcome to head scratching business decisions 101 in the world of metal detecting manufacturers.  The only one making sense lately is Nokta.

Hey Chase,

Thanks for the heads up! When you ask her, please explain we all would "wish" to see more of a coil selection!!! I get that she has heard this before! (Hint, Hint)!  But the main issue seems to be the "perception" by nearly everone that has commented about this issue, that Minelab does not "care" about the customer wants and needs! If we are incorrect in thinking this way, than it's on Minelab to correct this perception; not their customers! And put out some kind of statement to fix this perception!  I think that will go a long way into satisfying the repeated questions of their customers, and anyone looking to purchase in the future! If that makes sense!  

Thanks in advance?

• Like 1

I for one will not be buying another detector just to get a desired coil. I'll go to another manufacturer for a totally different detector that has a selection of coils. Each of the Nokta/Makro detectors I have bought I ended up with 4 or 5 coils for it including the Racer, Racer 2, Impact, Multi Anfibio, and Multi Kruzer. The Nox 800 will be my only Minelab. It's kinda like buying a set of screwdrivers and it only has 3 drivers in it. What about all the situations or screws they don't fit? Would you go but another of the same manufacturer's set, or buy some other manufacturers that has a set with 10 different drivers?

• Like 3