Coil Cover Sealing Tape Options

What kind of tape do you prefer for sealing your cover to your coil?  I know there are cloth tapes that can be bought from detector dealers.  But, has anyone found good solutions that are easy and quick to buy at local stores?  I've tried high-temp duct tape, but the adhesive is rather hard to remove.  I'm currently using fiberglass tape, which seems pretty decent, but has yet to run it's full course.  I would think electrical tape may be to gummy.  What have you used and liked, or not?

I just use 3M PVC electrical tape, Geof's idea seems good though.

1 hour ago, Skookum said:

What kind of tape do you prefer for sealing your cover to your coil?  I know there are cloth tapes that can be bought from detector dealers.  But, has anyone found good solutions that are easy and quick to buy at local stores?  I've tried high-temp duct tape, but the adhesive is rather hard to remove.  I'm currently using fiberglass tape, which seems pretty decent, but has yet to run it's full course.  I would think electrical tape may be to gummy.  What have you used and liked, or not?

Depends on what the purpose is and where your working?  For a person working a beach, absolutely not.  For land??  

The big problem is the amount of inches to seal, correctly.  Take the Equinox stock coil.....that would be a nightmare.  

5 hours ago, Skookum said:

I've tried high-temp duct tape, but the adhesive is rather hard to remove. 

The easiest way to remove it is to use WD40, spray it on to the old tape, let sit for a few minutes and then rub off with a cloth. You may have to repeat this a couple of times but it will come back looking like new.

The tape that Geof and Phrunt mentioned is good to use and will remove with this method. Before replacing the tape clean with alcohol to remove remaining WD40.

I use roof and gutter silicon to stick all of my coil covers on. It is there until the cover wears through.

After it wears through I just peel it off and re silicone the new one on.

Or I usually replace the standard cover with a pice of 1.5mm to 3mm lexan that is siliconed in place of the standard coil cover. All of my coils end up with the much tougher lexan on them after the standard coil covers wear through.

Tape requies constant maintanance or crap, oftern metallic crap gets inbetween your cover and coil and can create unwanted signals or noise.

• Like 1

I have a roll of the cloth tape that prospecting stores sell but the problem with it is that it works too well. It sticks effectively and lasts a long time but it is a pain to remove. I tend to clean the area between the skid plate and the coil regularly as moisture and dust tend to build up when a section of the seal breaks down. Like phrunt, pvc tape works well for me. It is inexpensive, lasts longer than I need it to and is easy to clean off. I use a label remover liquid to clean up the gum quickly. It doesn’t leave any residue and the tape sticks well to the cleaned surface. Be careful not to put it on the manufacturers label as it will peel it off.

eucalyptus oil is great for getting rid of tape residues, I don't know if you can get it in the US, but it's easy to come by in this part of the world being smack next to Australia where they're every second tree.

If you use roof or guttering silicon and need to remove it try this.

White vinegar or Methylated Spirts is an all-around cleaning agent for silicon.  Remove with a plastic knife or scrapper then use the above to clean up the job.

Great ideas here.  Open to other options, as well.  I hadn't considered electrical tape because of how gummy it is, but maybe it will work better.  The idea of removing the adhesive with greater ease is very appealing.