To Me, This Is A Problem...

Jayhop

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

Ok I understand better now . You have an issue with Deep HC low conductors ( nickels ) tones/IDs . I didnt do that test I will try that on my bed test

Correct, if Deep HC did a little better on the Deep low conductors I would just go with that in the 5 tone program. 

If you want good audio on nickels solely and are willing to give up on other mid conductors including small gold coins and trimes), I would go back to pitch and set a narrow "open" notch around nickels (e.g., 57 -67  or narrower) by creating 2 notches on either side.   The problem you are dealing with is the fact that Deep HC is by its very nature not going to give you great TID stability on deep mid conductors because it "tops out" at 14 khz on its FMF profile (i.e., the deep mid conductors are at the edge of detection giving you less ID stability).  Your only other alternative is to go with a 40 hz FMF pogram like General or Sensitive and see if that cleans up most of the mid conductors but you will then loose depth overall, including those deep mid conductors you can marginally detect with Deep HC and of course the really deep high conductors.  BTW what is your third tone break set at? 

Also, you can take 2 approaches with Audio Response.  If you do the notch thing I suggested, crank Audio Response up to max so deep and shallow targets bang out.  If you don't notch, you can LOWER Audio Response so that even in either Pitch or Multitones you can ignore the shallower banger targets (or specifically the banger mid tones if in Multi) and go after the whispers.  You can try square tones in multi combined with Audio Response tweaking to possibly get the audio you want on the nickels..  It's all about balancing the tradeoffs and I think D2 can give you a number of audio adjustments to try to dial it in.  HTH 

1 hour ago, Jayhop said:

Correct, if Deep HC did a little better on the Deep low conductors I would just go with that in the 5 tone program. 

I have just done a few air tests with the D2 11" and a 6g nickel and 2 smaller copper and silver coins and I confirm that the signal is sometimes scratchy even when the coin is close to the coil with at least the GENERAL , SENSITIVE , PARK , DEEP HC modes ..   It seems to be specific to nickels because I did an other air test with 2 very small half grams coins and the signal is perfectly clean for them ...   

I also did the same test with a Quest Q30+ and I had the same results , scratchy signal on the nickel and clean signal on the 2 others ...

Then there seems to be something special with the nickels , not really an issue for me as I prefer to hunt old bronze or silver coins rather than modern nickels , but I am a little surprised by this ...

The 3 targets , two small 0,5g copper and silver coins and one 6g big nickel  :

DSC00006.JPG

The signal is scratchy on the nickel  , while it is clean on the 2 other much smaller copper and silver coins, weird ... :

DSC00004.JPG

What's wrong with the park program that tops out at 24 KHz? You could change it up to match the settings on the other programs. Seems like it would be a good middle of the road range that would do better on mid conductors. The park program is one I've actually used quite a bit coin hunting. I will admit I haven't dug many nickels with the Deus 2. Almost every time I get a target that ID'S in the nickel range it turns out to be a pull tab.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

If you want good audio on nickels solely and are willing to give up on other mid conductors including small gold coins and trimes), I would go back to pitch and set a narrow "open" notch around nickels (e.g., 57 -67  or narrower) by creating 2 notches on either side.   The problem you are dealing with is the fact that Deep HC is by its very nature not going to give you great TID stability on deep mid conductors because it "tops out" at 14 khz on its FMF profile (i.e., the deep mid conductors are at the edge of detection giving you less ID stability).  Your only other alternative is to go with a 40 hz FMF pogram like General or Sensitive and see if that cleans up most of the mid conductors but you will then loose depth overall, including those deep mid conductors you can marginally detect with Deep HC and of course the really deep high conductors.  BTW what is your third tone break set at? 

Also, you can take 2 approaches with Audio Response.  If you do the notch thing I suggested, crank Audio Response up to max so deep and shallow targets bang out.  If you don't notch, you can LOWER Audio Response so that even in either Pitch or Multitones you can ignore the shallower banger targets (or specifically the banger mid tones if in Multi) and go after the whispers.  You can try square tones in multi combined with Audio Response tweaking to possibly get the audio you want on the nickels..  It's all about balancing the tradeoffs and I think D2 can give you a number of audio adjustments to try to dial it in.  HTH 

I agree with all you are saying. My third tone break is about 65.

What im trying to achieve is a program on the Deus II that sounds as good on all three coins as the equinox does using 5 tones. Again this is on deeper coins that even on the Equinox only sound good at one direction, not 360 degrees. 

7 minutes ago, abenson said:

What's wrong with the park program that tops out at 24 KHz? You could change it up to match the settings on the other programs. Seems like it would be a good middle of the road range that would do better on mid conductors. The park program is one I've actually used quite a bit coin hunting. I will admit I haven't dug many nickels with the Deus 2. Almost every time I get a target that ID'S in the nickel range it turns out to be a pull tab.

The park program is my second choice afterDeepHC. But again, on the deeper nickel at 11" in 5 tones the ID drops down into the second tone break around 35. Which will produce a low tone.

Deep HC gives the most stable and accurate ID IMO and testing. 

And I ve just done the same test with my Deus1 HF 9X6 and the 9g nickel  . Same result , the nickel sounds scratchy . Would like to do that test with a Vanquish or an Equinox but I have not these detectors any more ...

23 minutes ago, palzynski said:

And I ve just done the same test with my Deus1 HF 9X6 and the 9g nickel  . Same result , the nickel sounds scratchy . Would like to do that test with a Vanquish or an Equinox but I have not these detectors any more ...

The tone on my 11" nickel with the equinox is really good. And the ID is 11 to 12 which is very accurate. 

The ID on the same coin using the Deus II in Deep HC is also very close although it does bounce around more.

Some people may wonder what the big deal is.....

The deal is that for $1600 I expect the Deus II to perform at least as well as the equinox. I know it was never claimed that it would but you would think so. 

Overall I think it will be proven to be a better machine, especially as far as build quality and reliability. 

But for me as of now the tones aren't as good as the equinox (On deeper coins). Especially if your second tone break is using low Hz.