Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

A Big Lump And The Funeral Of The GPX 6000

phrunt

I'm in love! Yes, in love! the GPX 14" coil is great, performance is pretty good but it really calms my detector down and I feel I could use it for a day with this coil and not feel like wrapping it around a tree like I do with the 11".

I ran it over some little nugs and I thought its performance was similar on them to the 11".  It's very noticeable that the left side of the coil has the target signal, the right side is almost dead.  The good part about this is I could use the left side as a form of pinpointer.

This is the first time I've felt happy about my 6000, I went and put it right under high voltage lines that run from a wildmill farm and it worked remarkably well and would be quite usable under big power lines, not near as good as the Coiltek AI coil on the older GPX model but still,  good enough and on par with the GPZ with concentric coil for stability under power lines and seeing the GPX doesn't seem to loose too much in the way of small gold sensitivity if any with the DD I will be using it a lot more often now. 

I really hope the aftermarket guys make DD coils for it, and hopefully their coils are a bit better in EMI than the 11".  I noticed the coil cable on the DD coil looks thicker than the 11" Mono's cable.

HAPPY! Finally!  My 11' is going to become a sacrificial lamb for a better purpose ?

Aureous, I had another guy contact me overnight on Facebook, his 11" was faulty too, his was noisy and erratic and it felt like it got worse when it was in use for a while.  His detector was randomly shutting off too, they couldn't fault the shutdowns but after having his detector for 2 weeks of testing swapped his 11" over and he's happy with it now.    Maybe my 11" isn't quite right, doesn't matter It's not going to be used, it will be replaced with aftermarket alternatives.

Is this plastic defect normal on the 14" DD up near the coil ears?

IMG_20220516_124133.thumb.jpg.1f07cc8aae0029d7cbbcdcd595100c05.jpg

• Like 3

Ive been using my 14DD solely for the past 3 days yes, its very stable indeed! Very sensitive all right and although a bit heavier, Im getting used to it. I'll switch back to the 11" in a day or two. The seam on the 14DD is just a join mark from the injection molding formers when the shell was manufactured. Nuthin to worry about...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aureous said:

Ive been using my 14DD solely for the past 3 days yes, its very stable indeed! Very sensitive all right and although a bit heavier, Im getting used to it. I'll switch back to the 11" in a day or two. The seam on the 14DD is just a join mark from the injection molding formers when the shell was manufactured. Nuthin to worry about...

I pull the forward shaft in closer than with the smaller coil when using the DD- that balances it a bit better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is JW's 6 bits from the day from using the GPZ while his GPX 11" is away on warranty replacement.

Smallest .04 biggest .16

1.thumb.jpg.33bc7cb5cb8ca062051d47e1f511eb86.jpg

So the day was JW - 6 / Simon - 0

Next time I'll be using the GPZ.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Here is JW's 6 bits from the day from using the GPZ while his GPX 11" is away on warranty replacement.

Smallest .04 biggest .16

1.thumb.jpg.33bc7cb5cb8ca062051d47e1f511eb86.jpg

So the day was JW - 6 / Simon - 0

Next time I'll be using the GPZ.

I hope you will consider using the GPX 6000 with the 14" DD coil for EMI mitigation too along with your GPZ...... That would be an interesting comparison during live digs.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I hope you will consider using the GPX 6000 with the 14" DD coil for EMI mitigation too along with your GPZ...... That would be an interesting comparison during live digs.

That's not a bad idea, I will take both along.  The GPX is easy to take along as a second detector as you can stuff it in a backpack easy enough.  I can shrink the GPZ down and backpack it, I just find it easier to carry but the GPX is simple to backpack.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, phrunt said:

Smallest .04 biggest .16

I forget which GPZ coil he was using, one of the X-coils?

2 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I forget which GPZ coil he was using, one of the X-coils?

The 15" Concentric.  One of my favourite coils, and it or the 12" CC would have been my choice for that spot too due to the power lines he was hunting under.  Concentric coils handle EMI really well.

• Like 1