Website Back In Time ×

Historical Detectors & Modifications

On 11/21/2016 at 8:52 AM, AuWanderer said:

Here's my first detector I bought when I was 11 ..bought it from a magazine. Found many coins in and around churches and some silver. Bought it in 1980 I still think Detectron is in business down in Southern California and last time I looked they advertised it as a man-hole detector. When I bought it of course it was a treasure seeker...but technology obviously surpased  their ability to compete in this market of treasure , coins and gold nuggets. Funny thing is I paid around 145.00 think today they are around 450.00..And whats with the red color many early detectors had....Garret had the right color..green blend in with the environment :ph34r:

dt2.jpg

Detectron is indeed still out there as a part of Tinker and Rasor parent company and the 7-T looks almost identical to your 1980s Detectron detector, it's billed as a "Valve and Box Locator" the price is $325.

http://tinker-rasor.com/products/detectron-instruments/7-t/

7-T-73x300.jpg        7-T_controls-600x480-300x240.jpg

• Like 2

And I have a chrome steel Lobo dowsing rod made by Sam Wolfe from way back when. Will post a photo later. ( Always wanted a Darnel rod but never could find one for cheap?)

My 1st metal detector was a Bounty Hunter that cost me 90 bucks back in 1973 when I was in high school.

Money came from mowing lawns.  That darn thing could not see a roll of silver dimes at 2 inches hardly.

Somehow, I graduated to a Teknetics Mark 1 about 12 years later.That was1 HOT machine on silver and one of the 1st with Ground Balance for prospecting. Thank goodness for plastic money back then. Had a couple in between as well.

-Tom V.

• 2 years later...
19 hours ago, phrunt said:

I've got my eye on it ?

All I ask is that you take a photo of your wife's face when she sees you walking in the door with that.  (But please mute the mic.  This is a G-rated site.)

• Haha 2

You guys may need a lead vest lf you crank up any of those WW2 detectors! Unless you want to glow in the dark!??