Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Garrett Axiom & Minelab GPX 6000

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Ego and stubbornness, or just being honest?

There's a difference and usually one can tell by the details/wording of responses.  There's a distinction between admitting one doesn't notice a difference but accepting that others might compared to saying "I don't hear it so it doesn't exist."  Those latter people are the one's I referred to.

I don't know if your golf analogy was in reference to mine or independent of it (and both make sense).  I sometimes avoid golf analogies as they often only make sense to someone who has actually played the game.  My comparison (for which I found data) has to do with the speed of the putter on a 10 foot long putt -- clearly different than a full swing.

I'm pretty sure my typical detector swing is faster than many people use.  That may be the biggest reason I've noticed it.  But, no, my golf swing (as pitiful as it is) is much faster.

• Like 1

The delay doesn't bother me when I'm working slowly, or doing patch work either. But when exploring where speeding up and covering more ground is the name of the game, it starts to affect things more.

I'm not sure what the 6k headphones/transmitter are rated for, but I guarantee they have a longer delay than 40ms in practice, there is something extra happening there then. I think the actual delay is closer to 100-150ms.

My coil is 1-2ft away from targets when I'm in faster prospecting mode. And when I say fast, I mean a speed where I can still reliably hear anything except the faint signals that I don't want to waste time on, so it's not swinging a golf club. To move 2ft further than I do with the speaker in 40ms would mean I'm swinging at 34mph which is half the speed a pro baseball player swings a bat - not possible to do, especially not all day.

So something is happening with that 6k BT transmitter. I don't know what, but if it's stated delay is 40ms then it's wrong. Based on reviewing some of my video, at peak prospecting speeds I'm swinging about 6-8mph at the end of the coil, so the delay on the 6k headphones is up to something closer to 75-150ms, but this is all just rough back of the envelope calcs. 

But I mean, it's irrelevant in terms of the Axiom. I'm just saying - it's a problem with BT. And the less people work patches or ground they know gold exists (and thus swing slower), and the more they start to go off into brand new places where ground coverage is the name of the game, the more obvious the problem will be. For me, it's basically 100% of what I'm doing this summer, and so the issue is notable.

• Like 1

that's strange as the big problem with atpx LL was that it has a fixed bitrate of approximately 40ms, it can't go faster or slower and if it can't keep up with he bitrate it gets lost packets that cause the crackle/pop or in severe cases drop outs.  The new improved aptX adaptive adjusts the bitrate so transmission doesn't get broken packets thereby giving more stable audio.  In perfect no EMI conditions with a close range it can reach low latency but in practice it seems it is is more likely to be around 80ms.

This is from the newer aptX adaptive spec sheet.

The codec supports audio file playback with 16 and 24 bit-depths at 44.1 and 48kHz sample rates. Algorithm latency is also down to less than 2ms at 48kHz, with a system round trip falling somewhere between 50 and 80ms depending on the implementation. This isn’t quite as fast as Low Latency’s sub 40ms speed but should be virtually imperceivable.

So on a detector they could use 16 bit 44.1kHz lower quality audio and achieve max speeds of around 50ms, thats under ideal conditions with no EMI which I'm sure the detector creates EMI to slow that down, but it seems the better method is the Z-lync as it's the fastest available decent product, even faster than the Quest wirefree kit.

I'd just use a Z-Lynk receiver and use whatever I want connected to the detector, a bit like having the WM12 in a way.

• Like 1

You cant have your cake and eat it too, if you dont like the delay, then plug in. I detect plugged in all the time with my GPX6000 unless I'm in real rough terrain. I'm more curious about how the Axiom's multi ground balancing works. We've got some areas with hot rocks up the wazoo and I would like to see it run on that ground. I havent even made it there with my 6 yet though so maybe that machine will handle them fine, I just know my GB2 didnt stand a chance on that ground. Also my friend's sdc had many issues on the ground too. 

• Like 3