Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

12 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

There was a comment early right at 3 minute 45 seconds that kind of baffled me. Mr. Lawrey said something to the effect that the coil was strengthened because the Manticore puts more power in the ground. Does this mean it has a different type of winding or heavier/more windings than the Equinox coil?.

I don't know if they increased or changed the DD windings but they said in other videos that they reinforced the coil so when you bump it the ID numbers and sounds don't start jumping around like they do with some other detectors.  Maybe the additional power of the Manticore made it more susceptible to bumping and that is also why they reinforced the coil.

• Like 1

Yes, NAGANT, that video does show good target separation.  I don't understand why the French video instead just showed an elongated coin signal.  Maybe I just couldn't see the screen well enough in that video as GB_Amature said.  But we'll be able to test that ourselves soon.

In that video, NAGANT, at about the 18 minute mark Debbie shows the General settings and there is a setting to reject trash.  The icon for that is a pull tab.  I'm wondering how that is going to work.  Is it going to reject just about all gold, too?  Or have they narrowed the aluminum reject to be selective enough to let most gold items in?  I'm very interested in the Manticore ability with that.

Yesterday I was at a tot lot with the Legend and I pulled a bag full of aluminum foil and pull tabs out of that lot.  I would have preferred to be able to pass over much of that, if possible without great jewelry loss.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PSPR said:

Or have they narrowed the aluminum reject to be selective enough to let most gold items in?  I'm very interested in the Manticore ability with that.

Yesterday I was at a tot lot with the Legend and I pulled a bag full of aluminum foil and pull tabs out of that lot.  I would have preferred to be able to pass over much of that, if possible without great jewelry loss.

PSPR -- this is NOT going to happen.  Sorry to be a bearer of bad news.  Bottom line, any gold, that gives the same VDI as a pull tab or ring tab, CANNOT be "detected" while the aluminum is discriminated out.  If you notch out a VDI number, you will notch out ANYTHING that registers that VDI number, whether it is gold, or aluminum.  

Steve

• Like 8

22 hours ago, NAGANT said:

This video does show multiple targets on the screen.  

When they went through the menu and showed the number of tones, I only saw 1 to 5 tones. No full tones? WTF?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cudamark said:

When they went through the menu and showed the number of tones, I only saw 1 to 5 tones. No full tones? WTF?

It has them.  Doesn't anybody read the specs?  Relying upon videos (by less than experts...) to give all the details just doesn't seem realistic.  And Lawrie said more than once in the September European Tour videos it will have full tones (may not be the name they're using now).  BTW, Steve H. just put to bed (maybe in another thread) the idea that a performance feature/capability of the Equinox will be taken away on the Manticore.  Enhanced?  In some cases, yes.

• Like 3

I would have thought they would have shown that on the video since they were toggling through that part of the menu already.

• Like 1

I think it's called "all tones" now.    This must be for the top & bottom iron zones on the screen, (Ferrous Limits: Upper: 0 to 14 | Lower: 0 to 9).  Not sure why two ferrous zones and how they convey info differently.