Finally Minelab Take Responsibility For Screwing Up The GPX 6000 Speaker

phrunt

The GPX Audio Fix Poll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had the audio/EMI fix done to your GPX 6000 - if you plan to get it done please don't answer the poll until you've got it back and tested it

2. 2. Did the fix improve your built in speaker EMI stability

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done
  3. 3. Did the fix improve overall stability or improve the detector in some other way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, possibly
    • Not sure, I don't think so
    • Don't care, not getting it done

@jasong

Hi Jason,

How did you send your 6000 back to US Minelab, did you just send them the main  box like illustrated in Simon’s post or the entire unit with the 1st rod and control pod still attached, and a battery and coil?

The person who sent me the return information didn’t seem to know about the tear down info Simon posted and just sent a generic service letter that asks for battery and coil to also be sent and does not mention the tear down information and requires quite a longer box for shipping!

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

PS: By the way, I think your inbox is full (or disabled?) as I couldn’t PM you about this….

-Anthony

Wow, they want your battery and coil too? here they specifically only want the back control box, perhaps in the US they're going to test everyone's coil for faults and ear cracks too while it's there, that's good service.

I'm shipping mine off tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Wow, they want your battery and coil too? here they specifically only want the back control box, perhaps in the US they're going to test everyone's coil for faults and ear cracks too while it's there, that's good service.

I'm shipping mine off tomorrow.

No I think it was just a generic service letter, same thing they send for all detectors. Yours was much more specific for just the issue. I guess I’ll have to wait and see what I get. I’m just hoping to save a lot of money on shipping by only sending the box.

1 hour ago, GotAU? said:

@jasong

Hi Jason,

How did you send your 6000 back to US Minelab, did you just send them the main  box like illustrated in Simon’s post or the entire unit with the 1st rod and control pod still attached, and a battery and coil?

The person who sent me the return information didn’t seem to know about the tear down info Simon posted and just sent a generic service letter that asks for battery and coil to also be sent and does not mention the tear down information and requires quite a longer box for shipping!

Thanks, I appreciate your help!

PS: By the way, I think your inbox is full (or disabled?) as I couldn’t PM you about this….

-Anthony

Sorry yeah I keep having to clear stuff out of my inbox. It doesn't notify me when fills back up.

I just sent my control box and coil , no battery or shafts. Tore down via Simon's Minelab instructions. Only sent coil to make sure it checked out and to eliminate one potential problem in the event I need to do further diagnosis, but I don't think it's necessary. 

I wanted to next day air it so I reduced the weight as much as I could.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jasong said:

I just sent my control box and coil , no battery or shafts. Tore down via Simon's Minelab instructions. Only sent coil to make sure it checked out and to eliminate one potential problem in the event I need to do further diagnosis, but I don't think it's necessary. 

I wanted to next day air it so I reduced the weight as much as I could.

That next day must’ve been expensive! I just sent them only my control box the same way you did via UPS freight with full insurance and it cost $170. ?  It would’ve cost a lot more if I had to include all that other stuff like that generic letter asked.

I also emailed them a copy of what Simon posted and a link to my video, hopefully that helps them diagnose the problem and agree that it needs the new hardware update.

My baby just went in the mail, today. I sent the upper shaft, battery, and coil. The coil had developed horizontal cracks in the ears, which is why it went, too. The repair letter said that they like to test it with the battery.  UPS Ground, including the box and packing: $60. UPS Ground, including the box, packing, and insurance: $230. I agonized a bit over the price, but decided that I would really regret buying a new detector instead of having bought insurance. It probably would’ve been cheaper and faster through USPS, but UPS does all the work.