Nokta Legend Lots To Learn

HerrUU

Since two days I'm the happy owner of a Nokta Makro Legend. Went out into the fields for the first time yesterday with it and it worked great but one issue I had was the iron tone. For some reason (user related I'm sure 😉 ) I could not get a clear tone when hitting iron. It was kind of a muted sound but not as clear as the other tones. I have been looking in the manual where I need to adjust but I'm not seeing it.

How can I setup the iron tone so that it sounds clearly ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HerrUU said:

Since two days I'm the happy owner of a Nokta Makro Legend. Went out into the fields for the first time yesterday with it and it worked great but one issue I had was the iron tone. For some reason (user related I'm sure 😉 ) I could not get a clear tone when hitting iron. It was kind of a muted sound but not as clear as the other tones. I have been looking in the manual where I need to adjust but I'm not seeing it.

I just got mine about 4 hours ago, so I'm faaaar from an expert, but I believe in the tones section (where you choose how many tones, tone freq, etc), you can change the volume for each tone break.  Your iron tone should be the tone break on the far left.  Check to see what the volume is there.

Did some playing around with those settings and I believe I get it sounding right now. I'm putting all these changes into a custom user profile so that I can play around with them some. Still lot's to learn but we'll get there.

In the meantime, cleaned up some finds from yesterday and I have a 1 cent copper from the start of our country. Minted under Leopold 1, unfortunately very toasted and no dating is possible. A bit further on the field I found a 1 cent copper of King Willem of Holland, so to say the predecessor of Leopold 1. So both are from around the Belgian Revolution in 1830.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, HerrUU said:

What search mode and preset discrimination setting were you using when you had problems with the iron tone? Had you already adjusted some settings or were you just using it in its default settings?

I was using the all metal discrimination but the sound level for targets between 0 and 11 was only at 3. I raised it to 7 and dropped the others to 8 and now I have a nice low sound for the iron. 

The reason I don't want to mute the iron is because you can find some good stuff in the 7 to 11 range. For instance 1, 2 and 5 eurocents show up in that range but some WW2 ammo does too.

Yesterday I found out how good the legend is at finding silver within iron. I was testing for the iron tone and I wanted to see what happens when a high conductive target is amongst iron. So I took a silver ring from my wife and some rusty nails in my hand and passed it before the search coil. It was able to filter out the silver ring amongst that iron. I was seriously very impressed.

• Like 2

I tested the detector today in my backyard. This is a very infested garden with a lot of iron, scrap metal and foil/tin cans. And no surprise but that's all I found with the Legend. But, and that was te purpose of the test, I was able to identify them mostly for what they were. And I was very impressed of the target separation I got. At some point I had 3 different signals next to each other and I thought it was only one item. But to my surprise there were 3 different metals in +/- a square foot. Very happy with that result 😎

• Like 4

On 12/12/2022 at 2:56 AM, HerrUU said:

Yesterday I found out how good the legend is at finding silver within iron. I was testing for the iron tone and I wanted to see what happens when a high conductive target is amongst iron. So I took a silver ring from my wife and some rusty nails in my hand and passed it before the search coil. It was able to filter out the silver ring amongst that iron. I was seriously very impressed.

Are you familiar with how the iron bias (IF) control works, and how to use it to get even better iron unmasking?

Not really, I set it in the middle because I think that the lower you set this the better you can distinguish iron from other metals? 

I am searching to find a shop in Europe that sells the book by Andy Sabisch about the legend but no luck so far ☹️ Only one shop in the US but paying 65$ to have a 25$ book delivered is a bit too much for me. If anybody knows a shop in the EU or able to deliver to the EU that sells the book, let me know.

The Legend's Iron Filter/Stability feature works quite well.  Depending on your site's conditions & your ability/tolerance to handle small iron falsing, adjust it as low as possible to have the best chance to not miss very small/deep/badly masked non ferrous targets. The Iron Filter is the big coarse adjustment & the Stability is the fine adjustment. It is only available in Multi. Single frequency defaults to IF8.  Even before the addition of the adjustable Iron Filter feature, the Legend ran very well in small iron for me. I normally run around a 2.1 setting.  Even at 8 your not going to handicap yourself much.

On Andy's book, try him direct @treasurehuntingoutfitters.com.

• Like 1

Pretty much everything JCR said.

Run the main IF control as low as you can tolerate. By "tolerate", I mean as low as you can go without getting too much iron falsing. Be sure to keep rechecking the hole and plug.

I typically run my IF at 2-4 and leave the fine setting at mid level 3.

EDIT:

Here's a short video to show what the IF does:

New Nokta Makro Legend 1.09 Update - Iron Filter and Pitch Audio Testing. - YouTube

• Like 1