Classifieds - Should You Include Contact Info, Or Not?

Something people may not consider here when running an ad. Especially if they are wondering why they got no response.

Did you include contact info in the ad?

If not, only full forum members with at least ten posts can contact you, either by posting a response to the ad, or by a PM. Now, that is great if you want to keep it in the family, and relatively safe.

However, about 700 people a day are looking at the page, and most are not members, and may not want to join just to contact you. If you want to reach more than just the forum membership, you need to put an email address or something in your ad. But do keep in mind then you lose the security of dealing with known forum members, though I suppose if the guy has joined just to contact you, that could still be a concern. Do pay attention to the date when joined on their account, and how many times they have posted.

I’ve always sold anything I’ve placed on this forum very quickly, while some stuff that is priced very low by others just sits. I think that’s one reason… no contact info.

Great advice Steve, for me personally I enjoy the safety net of being able to see our regular members posts. We in some way get to know who is who and can judge the credibility level of said members based on previous exchanges in classifieds. I can be wrong but it seems most of our members are old school one handshake and you know you have their word and guarantee if there's an issue it will be taken care of. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Classifieds - Should You Include Contact Info, Or Not?
  • The topic was pinned
  • 6 months later...
15 hours ago, Crossbow37 said:

Thank you Steve! When I get to full member status, I will be wanting to sell one of my Minelab detectors, and would like to be successful!

Welcome to the forum! I sold detectors for a living. It’s simple. Great photos of spotlessly clean gear, detailed description with honest assessment of hours, remaining warranty, etc. clear contact info. And price to sell. That has nothing to do with anything but going market price, and eBay “Sold” listings are the best place to see what similar models have sold for in the last 6 months.

But people post photos of beat up dirty detectors, or don’t mention remaining warranty, or simply price too high. I price to sell, and if it’s not sold before the ad drifts to bottom of page, I update with reduced price, and repeat until sold. Once items go to page 2 they almost never sell, game over.