A Stroll In The Park With The Manticore

strick

Not trying to rain on your (Tournament of Roses) parade, but could it be nickel silver?  I've been fooled by that stuff before.  It has 60% copper which might give rise to the tarnish color.  Appears to have a Native American motif which would argue more for real silver, though.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your Manticore experiences.  I also look forward to your upcoming relic hunt.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Not trying to rain on your (Tournament of Roses) parade, but could it be nickel silver?  I've been fooled by that stuff before.  It has 60% copper which might give rise to the tarnish color.  Appears to have a Native American motif which would argue more for real silver, though.

Thanks for keeping us abreast of your Manticore experiences.  I also look forward to your upcoming relic hunt.

Never heard of nickel silver. I’ll have to have it looked at. It did not shine up as well as I thought it should after tumbling so I know it’s alloyed with something and appeared home made for sure..Big surf coming later this week so relic hunt may have to wait. 

Strick

nickel silver, a range of alloys of copper, nickel, and zinc which are silvery in appearance but contain no silver. Its composition varies from 7 to 30 percent nickel, the alloy most widely used being 18 percent nickel silver (18 percent nickel, 62 percent copper, 20 percent zinc). another name is German silver.  Any makers marks?  Great buckle.

• Like 1

Question for strick. Would be very interested on your findings  with regard tid stability on the Manticore and the same could apply to the 900 I would think. The Videos I've looked at and been able to see the screen adequately seem to show (which is to be expected I suppose) quite a range of numbers being displayed when going over "good" targets which I think I would find off putting. I do like the stability of the 800 over good targets(I do fully understand that targets are bunched together tid number wise due to the compressed tid scale). Coins unless on edge with the 800 are stable and generally lock on to one or two numbers, if the numbers fluctuate over say 3 numbers the target is usually not round therefore unlikely to be a coin although depth does effect this. I like to check targets this way along with the tone response. There is a slight nuance with say aluminium as the tone sounds to sweet at times. I also appreciate that the 2d screen is there to be used but the question is about tid stability. Thx

The numbers will bounce around sometimes 2 or 3 digits if they are deeper. Shallower targets don’t bounce a lot. It’s more bouncy then the 800 for sure but it’s got twice the vid range. The CTX is still king of stability...Deus 2 has good solid stability as well. Hope this helps...yes more bouncy then the 800..

Strick

• Like 1

6 hours ago, strick said:

The numbers will bounce around sometimes 2 or 3 digits if they are deeper. Shallower targets don’t bounce a lot. It’s more bouncy then the 800 for sure but it’s got twice the vid range. The CTX is still king of stability...Deus 2 has good solid stability as well. Hope this helps...yes more bouncy then the 800..

Strick

Finding a LOT of TID instability on the Nox 900 (vs. the 800) for "deeper" mid-conductive targets based on a run through my test garden.  Shallow, high conductors still vary by 2 or 3 digits.  I say "deeper" in quotes because the first thing I did was slap the 10x5 coil on the Nox 900.  More variation than I would expect even for the expanded TID range.  I am holding judgement on this until I get into real world conditions.  Thought I would note it here, even though we are talking about M-core.  If for nothing else, it might help determine whether the M-core has more stable TID than the Nox 900.  FWIW.  Would like to hear from abenson or Jeff McClendon or other Nox 900 users on this.  I'll post a thread in the Equinox forum...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1