Army Camp Relics

That is an artillery shell and they have an Explosive charge with a detonator. That has very real potential of danger,   Common small arms ammunition is not explosive. It uses propellant, not "gun powder"  Now Black Powder, as used for older arms is explosive if dry enough, even after many cycles of getting wet.

1 hour ago, JCR said:

That is an artillery shell and they have an Explosive charge with a detonator. That has very real potential of danger,   Common small arms ammunition is not explosive. It uses propellant, not "gun powder"  Now Black Powder, as used for older arms is explosive if dry enough, even after many cycles of getting wet.

Thanks JCR judging by the rifling marks it has been fired but did not explode.I think that It may be an anti tank round circa WW2? Thought about going back and removing the primer but decided to leave it the ef alone.

That is not a primer it is a Detonator. It would be very unwise to mess with it. The shell really needs to be disposed of or at least re buried deep with a bunch of tin cans on top.

49 minutes ago, JCR said:

That is not a primer it is a Detonator. It would be very unwise to mess with it. The shell really needs to be disposed of or at least re buried deep with a bunch of tin cans on top.

I took great care of that no one will ever find it and if a fire comes through I put it in a place where it won't detonate 

I researched the place and told everyone at my club about it but it didn't get much interest.  We went on our own with the boys and had fun.

Now I'll disclose a secret.  I used my 800 using Field 2 and Park 1 with the 11" coil.  I found the box with the two sunbaker pennies, the U.S. and the buttons.

My wife used the Gold Bug Pro (at the time we bought it it was a Steve's top pick) and she found the Silver Dime and the steel penny and the other things in that display.

This throws a 'wrench' into the NEED for the latest technology in order to be able to find good things.  haha  Old technology still works but it would be nice to see what you Manticore will do out there.

The place is huge and we couldn't make it to some of the places we wanted to go because I didn't have my 4WD and had the kids and I didn't want to get stuck.

That is an impressive amount of targets - well done! There have been many, many detectors out there but the area is so big and the winds and rain will cover and uncover targets periodically. And, yes, the improved technology of the new detectors should help in some of the many trashy areas that are masking the good targets. Getting stuck in the sand out there is a great way to waste precious detecting time - how do I know this? 😞

I think it's great that your wife metal detects! Mine does not but at least she is very supportive of me and my hobbies.