How Many Of You Have Purchased The Manticore From Cabela's/bass Pro?

One day a couple of weeks ago after we went to the mountains to see snow we stopped by the Bass Pro Shops in Ontario.  We saw the fish tanks with the kids, looked at fishing gear and guns and then went to the camping section.

They had two Minelab 900s, 1 800, a couple of ATXs?, and about 3 models of Vanquishes for a total of about 10 detectors sitting on shelves that customers could handle and read.  Someone bought a 340 when we were there.  I didn't ask an employee if there was additional inventory.  I wouldn't have bought a Manticore from them even if it was in stock.

Just reporting.

• Like 3

I can’t are won’t say when I got a bad case of heat rash that I may do the same thing.

The biggest problem I see if you got a question 🙋‍♂️ Relating to that detector you just put your hard earned money on you will more than likely hear I don’t know but you will find the manual in the box.

If I buy from Gerry are any other dealer on here they going to say what can I help you with. I’ll go beyond that even if didn’t get it from Gerry I still believe he will try to help you. I believe Rob has done just that in the past of helping a non buyer.

I don’t like paying sales tax and being a vet of the Little Big Horn I also want to get my 15% discount. The two can add up to a fair amount of money.

Chuck 

• Like 3

I've been tracking the numbers. I will say Cabela's has gotten about 150 detectors. This last batch consisted of about 75 detectors roughly.

I've been waiting since November 2022 for my fully paid preorder. I could have backed out and ordered from Cabela's a few times but will be staying with the smaller dealer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

I can’t are won’t say when I got a bad case of heat rash that I may do the same thing.

The biggest problem I see if you got a question 🙋‍♂️ Relating to that detector you just put your hard earned money on you will more than likely hear I don’t know but you will find the manual in the box.

If I buy from Gerry are any other dealer on here they going to say what can I help you with. I’ll go beyond that even if didn’t get it from Gerry I still believe he will try to help you. I believe Rob has done just that in the past of helping a non buyer.

I don’t like paying sales tax and being a vet of the Little Big Horn I also want to get my 15% discount. The two can add up to a fair amount of money.

Chuck 

True.  But if you have a bad machine and or warranty issue, most dealers are going to deflect you straight to the manufacturer warranty department. Meaning you do all the legwork, and a dealer is of zero assistance.  I ran into it with a CTX 3030 that I had bought new. It had a bad display out of the box. Naturally, I contacted the dealer I had bought it from and he was like "sorry to hear that but it's out of my hands, here is the number for Minelab's service".  I won't lie. I was pretty ticked off. Definitely not how I would have handled it had I been a dealer. I would have swapped that unit with another one I had in stock (which he did have others in stock) and made sure my customer was up and going, then dealt with Minelab on my own about the defective unit. But, it is rare to find service like that. That's why I don't hesitate to order from Cabelas and such. I go by whomever has it in stock at the time I want one.  

45 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

True.  But if you have a bad machine and or warranty issue, most dealers are going to deflect you straight to the manufacturer warranty department. Meaning you do all the legwork, and a dealer is of zero assistance.  I ran into it with a CTX 3030 that I had bought new. It had a bad display out of the box. Naturally, I contacted the dealer I had bought it from and he was like "sorry to hear that but it's out of my hands, here is the number for Minelab's service".  I won't lie. I was pretty ticked off. Definitely not how I would have handled it had I been a dealer. I would have swapped that unit with another one I had in stock (which he did have others in stock) and made sure my customer was up and going, then dealt with Minelab on my own about the defective unit. But, it is rare to find service like that. That's why I don't hesitate to order from Cabelas and such. I go by whomever has it in stock at the time I want one.  

I agree that out-of-the-box/DOA issues for "established" detector models (e.g.  the CTX or Nox 600/800's, etc.) should typically be handled by the dealer as an exchange from dealer on hand inventory. But I know for a fact that ML keeps a short leash on dealers with newly released ML detector models such as the Nox 700/900 and Manticore.  ML requires dealers to instruct buyers to deal directly with ML North Americas Detector Center Support in Naperville, IL. In fact, the ML repair facility is seldom involved during this phase as ML Support in Naperville typically handles the exchanges directly.  The reasons are because: 1) ML HQ wants a detailed accounting of these "infant mortality" failures to determine root causes (e.g.  design flaw, manufacturing flaw, material defect, shipping damage) so that corrective actions can be quickly developed and implemented and 2) the dealers and ML repair centers typically do not have replacement stock on hand to deal with these early phase issues.  I had a defective pushbutton on.my brand new Nox 900 and went through the replacement process.  Since it was within 30 days of purchase they said I was entitled to a brand new in box unit so I shipped the defective unit and all accessories back in the original box and upon receipt they sent me the new one.  I detailed the process here. FWIW

• Like 2

That's the complete opposite to Australia/NZ.  The dealer is responsible for any DOA issues, in fact the dealer is responsible through the entire warranty, they can ask you to send it to the manufacturer after the DOA period (usually 30 days) but you can say no and return it to them and they have to deal with it.   In fact if a product fails outside of the warranty period, such as an Equinox coil ears break for example, if this is a known issue with the product and you have proof this is the case like lots of forum posts with people with broken ears you can take action to have the coil replaced, even outside of warranty.  The recent ear upgrade on the Nox 700/900 helps build the case.  Most people don't bother, but the option is there.

So in our case at least it doesn't matter where you buy it, you have the same protections regardless of a dealer or a big box store, big box stores often just swap things out and are generally easier to deal with than smaller stores.  Figured I'd outline it a bit for the Aussies and Kiwi's as the extent of the laws are not generally well known, and some stores even mislead customers of their rights although illegal to do so, many smaller retailers don't even completely understand the laws themselves.

Our rules (both countries are very similar)

Consumer rights are different to warranties

Consumer guarantees are not the same as warranties, including extended warranties.

Consumer guarantees are automatic and can’t be taken away. Warranties are extra promises that a business can choose to make on top of the consumer guarantees.

Repair, replace, refund, cancel

• When a business sells a product or service that doesn’t meet basic rights, known as consumer guarantees, it must offer the consumer a solution.
  • Consumers can choose between a refund or replacement when a product has a major problem.
  • Businesses must fix minor problems with products or services by at least giving a free repair.
  • Consumers have a right to alter the agreement with a service provider when a service has a major problem.
  • Businesses must not tell consumers to take the problem to the manufacturer or importer.
  • Businesses have a right to have their costs of providing a solution to a consumer repaid by a manufacturer, where the problem is the manufacturer’s fault.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PUHH said:

Why no more Manticore on Cabelas and Kellyco? No webpage with "pre-order" or "out of stock"? 

They won't show up on the website unless they have stock ready to sell. Once they sell out, they disappear from the site.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I agree that out-of-the-box/DOA issues for "established" detector models (e.g.  the CTX or Nox 600/800's, etc.) should typically be handled by the dealer as an exchange from dealer on hand inventory. But I know for a fact that ML keeps a short leash on dealers with newly released ML detector models such as the Nox 700/900 and Manticore.  ML requires dealers to instruct buyers to deal directly with ML North Americas Detector Center Support in Naperville, IL. In fact, the ML repair facility is seldom involved during this phase as ML Support in Naperville typically handles the exchanges directly.  The reasons are because: 1) ML HQ wants a detailed accounting of these "infant mortality" failures to determine root causes (e.g.  design flaw, manufacturing flaw, material defect, shipping damage) so that corrective actions can be quickly developed and implemented and 2) the dealers and ML repair centers typically do not have replacement stock on hand to deal with these early phase issues.  I had a defective pushbutton on.my brand new Nox 900 and went through the replacement process.  Since it was within 30 days of purchase they said I was entitled to a brand new in box unit so I shipped the defective unit and all accessories back in the original box and upon receipt they sent me the new one.  I detailed the process here. FWIW

In my CTX case, the same cause of death info could have been achieved from the unit. It wouldn't have mattered who sent it in...the dealer or me.  They did much the same with me as they did with you...they sent me a return label and it went to Illinois and upon arrival, processing, etc they sent me a new unit. Yes it was resolved: but I was still without a machine I'd paid over 2 grand for, for around 2.5 weeks. In my mind, I would have rather drove 45 mins to the dealer's shop and swapped units to a working one and only had about an hour or two down time.  Especially since I knew he had one in the store.  That's probably a good thing I'm not a dealer.  I'd feel terrible about something like that and end up giving the customer a free coil, pinpointer, or something just as an apology gesture.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dan(NM) said:

They won't show up on the website unless they have stock ready to sell. Once they sell out, they disappear from the site.

Hmmm.... But I see Equinox700/900 - "out of stock", and don't see Manticore page (Kellyco)