The D2 Finds A Little Silver

Last weekend I was invited to go detecting at an old city park in another town near me. That park was famous for silver coins back in the day but some are still found there from time to time. Since I've been working on trying to develop deep settings and train my ears to hear the deep faint signals, I jumped at the chance to go hunt silver coins. I've been mainly using a wide open Fast program with PWM Full Tones and a wide open Deep HC in PWM Pitch Tones. I also wanted to test Sensi FT to see how it would compare.

When we arrived at the park there were two other club members already there, so we moved to the far end of the park. My hunting buddy has found quite a few old silvers in this park and pointed out some of the places he has done well in and disappeared over a hill. I hunted in Fast Full Tones and checked targets with Deep HC and Sensi FT. The ground there is fairly mineralized, similar to my town but maybe a little less. Fast was going deep and I was hitting some really faint 89-92 signals. Deep HC hit them too, although it seemed to false on iron a little more. Sensi FT struggled on some of the deep targets, but generally hit them, although some didn't sound as diggable. Overall the wide open Fast Full Tones program sounded better and revealed iron better (to my ears) than Deep HC or Sensi FT. Sensi FT did great on shallower targets, but didn't sound off as well for me on the deeper targets. I'll have to do some tweaking on that and try it again.

Unfortunately, in the 4 hours we were there, neither of us hit any silver coins, but I did manage to pull some deeper copper memorials and a Wheat Penny. My buddy found 4 wheats and a buffalo nickel. At one point I hit a solid sounding 35 and thought it was a small can slaw or folded up foil, but it sounded a little too good so I dug it anyway and found a tiny silver earring. It has some stones on it with light pass-through holes in the mountings, but my diamond tester died so I'll have to wait until the replacement arrives to test those. So while no silver coins that day, the D2 did hit a little silver... literally. 😎

PCP-1.JPEG

PCP-2.jpg

PCP-3.jpg

PCP-4.JPEG

PCP-5a-horz.jpg

Nice hunt Cap'n! Cool you're testing all sorts of programs on the D2, you have a favorite?

Looks like you got a decent bit of taco money there, and it's always great to find the paper stuff. 👍 Do y'all dig or just pop targets? I may branch out to other counties' parks this year, we don't have any. 😵 Kids are great at losing stuff.

Nice digs CPT. Though my knees ache a bit just looking at all the targets you recovered. 😉 Good work on sniffing out that tiny silver. Interesting observation that Sensitive FT didn't hit quite as cleanly as Fast FT. Were you running the same Disc or lack or Disc in both? 

21 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt Cap'n! Cool you're testing all sorts of programs on the D2, you have a favorite?

Looks like you got a decent bit of taco money there, and it's always great to find the paper stuff. 👍 Do y'all dig or just pop targets? I may branch out to other counties' parks this year, we don't have any. 😵 Kids are great at losing stuff.

Thanks, F350! I'm still experimenting with as many programs as I can now that I am getting better aquainted with what all the settings do and how they interact. I do have your Reaper program and Rattlehead's Silver Slayer permanently installed, but I am really gelling with a wide open Fast in PWM Full Tones. If I'm in an area with fewer targets, I'll run a modded Silver Slayer (Fast) with Notch to 30 and no upper notch in PWM Pitch Tones to ping me when there's a solid target to check. In an area with lots of trash and targets and on relic sites, I like to use wide open Fast with PWM Full Tones to be able to hear all the different sizes and conductivities of the targets present and good targets seem to pop through and iron is pretty easy to tell as well.

In my local parks I have to "pop" targets and do small surgical extractions on deeper targets. In the other town, shovels are considered okay to use, but I just used the pop and SE methods because I'm use to it. On relic sites, my Root Slayer Nomad does all the work. 😉

17 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

Nice digs CPT. Though my knees ache a bit just looking at all the targets you recovered. 😉 Good work on sniffing out that tiny silver. Interesting observation that Sensitive FT didn't hit quite as cleanly as Fast FT. Were you running the same Disc or lack or Disc in both? 

Thanks Lodge Scent! FT hit as well as the other programs on shallower targets, but the really deep ones were just not as clear in my ground. I was running the stock Sensi FT program with Disc at -6.4, but Notch off, Sensitivity at 96, Silencer at 3, B-Caps 0, Reactivty 3, and Audio Response at 5. I run my Fast Full Tones with Disc at -2.0, Notch off, Sensitivity 96, Silencer and B-Caps 0, Reactivity 1.5-2, and Audio Response at 5. Now that I look at that, The Reactivity at 3 in Sensi FT may have been too high for deep targets. I may have to test that again with a lower reactivity.