Alluvial Gold Bonanzas Of The Past - Victoria Australia

Hey Ethan, mate I'm putting it back till next year, a bit busy atm. Let us know how you go if you get there, post some pics. and a story, good luck, you can show me around next year.

15 hours ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Hi Jack have you gone to Tib yet? I am still waiting for my ute to come lol

On 6/22/2023 at 7:51 PM, blackjack said:

Hey Ethan, mate I'm putting it back till next year, a bit busy atm. Let us know how you go if you get there, post some pics. and a story, good luck, you can show me around next year.

Jack I am not sure either. I am still waiting for ute to arrive first...if eveyrthing can be sorted out before September then I maybe able to go. Next year I do plan to spend 2-3 months in WA if you interested...At least free to camp lol

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Jack I am not sure either. I am still waiting for ute to arrive first...if eveyrthing can be sorted out before September then I maybe able to go. Next year I do plan to spend 2-3 months in WA if you interested...At least free to camp lol

Thanks Ethan, we will stay in touch, I'd love to meet you and find some gold. Message me before you go, I'm from W.A. I have some contacts over there, and maybe some unfinished places I'd like to get back to. I may not be able to but you might. Looks like you had some flooding over your way, there may be some new ground to look at locally, keep us posted.

On 6/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, blackjack said:

Thanks Ethan, we will stay in touch, I'd love to meet you and find some gold. Message me before you go, I'm from W.A. I have some contacts over there, and maybe some unfinished places I'd like to get back to. I may not be able to but you might. Looks like you had some flooding over your way, there may be some new ground to look at locally, keep us posted.

For sure Jack. Once I got ute I will give you more updates. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, blackjack said:

Hi Jack, how you been? Any luck and trip planning last year and this year?

We were unable to make it last year, because our ute didn't arrive on time, as well as dad had to go back to China as his visa application was rejected. So he is in China now and I will apply again, so hopefully he can come back in a month time. 

Now I have got the ute last December and pretty much ready to go. We still plan to go WA this year, possibly from end of May to mid August. Still Laverton areas I guess.. How about you?  

Kind regards,
Ethan

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:04 AM, Ethan in Adelaide said:

Hi Jack, how you been? Any luck and trip planning last year and this year?

We were unable to make it last year, because our ute didn't arrive on time, as well as dad had to go back to China as his visa application was rejected. So he is in China now and I will apply again, so hopefully he can come back in a month time. 

Now I have got the ute last December and pretty much ready to go. We still plan to go WA this year, possibly from end of May to mid August. Still Laverton areas I guess.. How about you?  

Kind regards,
Ethan

Hey Ethan, how's it going ? No I haven't been able to get away, my sniping partners have taken to detecting with some success in the Corinna area [Tasmania ] they are following the gold trail in creeks and are clearing the overburden/gravel and detecting the bedrock. They are averaging 4 grams a weekend, but are working for it. I have done some detecting in the Leonora/Laverton area years ago [ early 1980's ] at Eucalyptus, Pyke Hollow and Pennyweight Point, but other than that are I don't know it well. It would be quite a bit extra travel time for you but the area I would like to get back to is the Ashburton gold fields. My dad and I did that area in an old Holden towing a trailer with two trail bikes in the early 80's, our main destination was Top Camp, we were the first in there with detectors, we did quite well so we didn't look at any other spots in detail. We went in from the western end at Nanutarra to Ashburton Downs station then to Top Camp from there we followed station roads going east coming out at Meekatharra, passing some very promising areas with alluvial workings [ dryblowings ]. We had to get fuel at three stations on that track, and not one station owner would accept any money 😊let me know when you are going and I will contact my cousin, and see what he says about some possible locations for you, he knows all the spots, he had a dryblowing outfit all his working life, of course I can't be sure he'll tell me anything though. 

11 hours ago, blackjack said:

Hey Ethan, how's it going ? No I haven't been able to get away, my sniping partners have taken to detecting with some success in the Corinna area [Tasmania ] they are following the gold trail in creeks and are clearing the overburden/gravel and detecting the bedrock. They are averaging 4 grams a weekend, but are working for it. I have done some detecting in the Leonora/Laverton area years ago [ early 1980's ] at Eucalyptus, Pyke Hollow and Pennyweight Point, but other than that are I don't know it well. It would be quite a bit extra travel time for you but the area I would like to get back to is the Ashburton gold fields. My dad and I did that area in an old Holden towing a trailer with two trail bikes in the early 80's, our main destination was Top Camp, we were the first in there with detectors, we did quite well so we didn't look at any other spots in detail. We went in from the western end at Nanutarra to Ashburton Downs station then to Top Camp from there we followed station roads going east coming out at Meekatharra, passing some very promising areas with alluvial workings [ dryblowings ]. We had to get fuel at three stations on that track, and not one station owner would accept any money 😊let me know when you are going and I will contact my cousin, and see what he says about some possible locations for you, he knows all the spots, he had a dryblowing outfit all his working life, of course I can't be sure he'll tell me anything though. 

Hi Jack,

Ashburton is within Pilbara right? Lol too far for us at this stage. I would only consider going there if someone knows there take us there, like you lol

So you have no plans yet going back to WA? If you do let us know then we can catch up😁

• Like 1

Yes Ethan, it's S/W of the Pilbara/ Nullagine, but about as far for you. I have no plans for a W.A. trip at this stage, if I go anywhere this winter it would be to Tibooburra. If I was in S.A. like you that's would be where I would plan to go, you probably won't strike it rich there but you have a better chance of finding gold than in W.A. The West is good if you know where to go [which I don't anymore]. Getting permissions and navigating and paying for permits like 40e could be difficult, but it's been 30 years since I've prospected there, so I'm really not qualified to comment, it just appears to me that it's become harder. Hopefully someone from W.A. will comment on this. I know my cousin and his wife did well on their last trip, but they were working on a friends lease. Good luck, and keep us informed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blackjack said:

Yes Ethan, it's S/W of the Pilbara/ Nullagine, but about as far for you. I have no plans for a W.A. trip at this stage, if I go anywhere this winter it would be to Tibooburra. If I was in S.A. like you that's would be where I would plan to go, you probably won't strike it rich there but you have a better chance of finding gold than in W.A. The West is good if you know where to go [which I don't anymore]. Getting permissions and navigating and paying for permits like 40e could be difficult, but it's been 30 years since I've prospected there, so I'm really not qualified to comment, it just appears to me that it's become harder. Hopefully someone from W.A. will comment on this. I know my cousin and his wife did well on their last trip, but they were working on a friends lease. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Thanks Jack. Last time I asked someone about going to tibooburra, he said he has been there but nowadays not much gold anymore. Not sure if true or not. However becasue our trip is around 2-3 months, while staying Tibooburra would cost $30 each day I think? then 2-3 months seems a bit costy. Unless there is somewhere free camping?

Surely we will keep you updated. We got starlink as well this time. Dad is the one who likes remote australia so WA is not a bad choice. If you do go Tib please keep us updated. 

Kind regards,
Ethan

• Like 1