How I Ruined My First "historical" Find

Musket balls are so common in New England that there would be no way of knowing if it was from a battle.  Hunters used muskets for over two centuries.

Saying that the things we find are historical can be bad for the hobby as it adds to our bad reputation among archeologists and the general public.

• Like 3

The white is lead oxide. Older they are the whiter they become usually. I don't bother cleaning them, just put them in a little baggy for storage.

I don’t clean my musket balls. My first really old find was 1804 large cent. Everything I did to it did more damage to the point it was an unrecognizable slug. I now use the hippocratic method - first do no harm. 

• Like 3

I wash off the dirt but leave them white if possible.

20230405_071941 (2).jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, relicmeister said:

My first really old find was 1804 large cent. Everything I did to it did more damage to the point it was an unrecognizable slug. I now use the hippocratic method - first do no harm. 

Often the soft copper oxidation will hold the detail while the metal below it has been destroyed. It might be worth it to not clean the coin to save the detail but this can be messy when you have a lot of coppers.

I clean all my coppers. I think they look better cleaned and my hands don't get dirty when handling them.

20230405_075136.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, relicmeister said:

My first really old find was 1804 large cent. Everything I did to it did more damage to the point it was an unrecognizable slug. I now use the hippocratic method - first do no harm.

That would have been a painful lesson for me given the scarcity/rarity of the 1804 Large Cent.  Likely it didn't have much numismatic value in the condition it was in, but it would still be enjoyable to have something so unusual.  Well, I assume you still have it...  :sad:

All USA large cents and half cents were made from 100% copper planchets.  AFAIK no small cents were ever made of 100% copper -- early ones (1856-64) were 88% copper and 1864-1982 were 95% copper.  (I don't recognize anything later as other than trash.  😠)  I do think those with more tin included in the alloy (Indian Heads being typical) are resistant to corrosion -- at least they tend to be more attractive.  But as to whether the alloys are more resistant than pure copper?  Given that the early ones (Largies and Halfies) have been in the ground longer, maybe it's just the time effect that makes the biggest difference in them being more delicate.  18th and early 19th Century coins from other countries (e.g. Great Britain) might help break the stalemate, assuming they were alloys and not pure copper.   (I have no idea of their detailed composition.)  Maybe @kac , @F350Platinum , @Badger-NH , and others here can shed some light given they've found those coins too.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

20230405_075136.jpg

That's an amazing number of 150+ year old copper coins!  I see a lot of USA Large Cents but other stuff I don't recognize.  Did you post this just to make the West Coast detectorists envious??  :biggrin:

• Haha 4