Legend Day 1

That is a nice start on a new machine.  More to come.

Story time:  I took the Legend to a little spot in my home town where I had dug a few dropped Civil War bullets last month. I was hoping to get some more.  I figured it would be a decent spot to take the Legend to, to see how it would run. The minies I had dug, hadn't been that deep.  There was some trash there...can slaw, deeper iron, etc.  I hunted in park mode M1.  Ground balanced and let er rip.  GB was around 48.  I actually didn't find much there...but that was to be expected.  Legend was running very smoothly.  I dug a deep brass piece to a door and a deep piece of melted lead.  Then I get this really good 46-48 signal all the way around.  I dug a 3-4 inch plug and still had a signal in the hole. At around 5-6 inches I had it out and it was the dime.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing. 3rd signal I dug!  I dug several more coins but nothing old. And didn't dig a single bent nail or a nail at all.  I'll definitely be going back there now.  

• Like 2

Great hunt. Nice silver find. Try M2. It separates in iron a lot better. Iron bias 1, Stability 4. Tone break 8-9. Recovery 2 or 3. It still has incredible iron separation.

Let me know if you have any false hits on iron.

My Legend is set up to dig iron relics. Using disc C. I just notched nails and everything else is open. So I get hits on iron relics that hit below nails and I can decide if I want to dig it or not. I'm still snowed in so I haven't been able to use this setting. If there is false hits in iron I'm hoping with this setting there will be no false hits.

If I had the Manticore I would try that too just notching nails.

I didn't dig any iron or have iron falsing.  But I also didn't have a clue what you guys were talking about with the iron bias settings.  My printed manual mentions nothing about it. It wasn't until I read these posts and downloaded the new updated manual, that I saw what you are talking about. My printed manual must be from before all that stuff was added in newer updates, because it's not in there.  When I was playing with it in my yard and home test garden, M1 had the best response vs the others, so that's where I kept it.  Most settings I haven't even moved from the factory presets.  This was just a maiden voyage hunt.  I was only hoping to find a minie ball or two since it was too windy to go fishing.  A seated coin caught me off guard.  The 1885 coin date is even better to me. I'm a movie buff and Back 2 the Future is one of my favorite series...and 1885 is the year Doc and Marty went back to the Old West in B2TF 3 haha.  

• Like 3

Daniel, congrats on an awesome start with the Legend. 
 I'm no expert but I have certainly found a lot of good finds with my Legend. I still run in park, m1, recovery on 3, IF at 8 (the factory default). I may run the recovery up some to 5 (factor default) or down to 1 if the ground is good. But for the most part the factory defaults work really well. 
 I've tried using some of the recommended settings on the iron filter and stability settings but all it did for me was cause me to dig more iron (a lot more). I have a friend that came up with the same concussion. He hunts heavy iron in civil war camp sites and finds amazing stuff on the factory default iron filter setting of 8. He likes m2 and uses the pitch tone but IF setting of 8. You may try some of the suggested settings and get along great with them. I was just saying the factory default settings are very capable settings. Good luck and have fun playing with the Legend. Tom

I mainly hunt iron infested sites. I would be swinging right over, and missing a multitude of good targets if I used the high Iron Filter default setting.

Depending on the size, shape, and orientation of a nail, all detectors will occasionally false on them. In contrast, the goal of using the IF filter, is to deliberately get the detector as close as possible to iron falsing, without getting too much iron flasing.

The IF is a critical setting for unmasking good targets from iron, but it's very important to recheck the hole and plug until there is no longer a signal. This is because you will find one or more nails in the hole and/or plug, but often there is also a good target in there as well. 

Here's a short video from Iffy Signals showing the IF in action:

Thanks for the story. That dirt doesn't look too bad. 

What firmware version is your Legend running?  I assume you have just the stock LG28 11" round coil.

Even still...an iron filter/bias setting adjustment is only useful if you know it's there.  My unit is new but didn't come with anything detailing what version it is and the hardcopy manual it came with doesn't have that in it.  The download able version does, but I would have never found it had I not saw the posts here.  Go easy on me...this thing just came Friday afternoon.  I've still got to update it to whatever the newest version is too.  All I've done so far is charge it.

JCR - Correct on the soil. It's only 2-3 bar soil on the T2 platform.  That was another reason I took it to that particular place...didn't have to contend with hot soil complicating things. And yes, the 11" round coil is the only coil I have.  I didn't buy the Pro pack. I do have a 12x9 ordered though.  

• Like 3