Some Finds From A Union Camp

This site has been in continuous use since the Civil War so there is a variety of ages to the items which can be found.  The most interesting items are the button back, the old pocket watch, and the old pocket knife. The knife, the piece of rolled up scrap lead, and the belt buckle (modern style?) was found by my son on his first outing with my old detector.  The lead and button back were in the “splash“ area of square nails from an old stockade.  But, the 1957 penny was in the same general vicinity.

There are no markings on the button back that I can see.  So I am guessing it is probably not military but I would appreciate any input if it looks familiar to anyone.

With a magnifying glass, I can make out fragments of a couple small letters on the back of the pocket watch - not enough to decipher.  It looks like it was made to open.  Not sure of the metal. It feels a little on the heavy side. The back might be brass.  I am thinking the front might be steel. It rang up a solid 95 in a fire pit with blobs of aluminum, an old power saw blade, and tons of iron.  So the whole watch was covered in a layer of black. There may be remnants of silver plate.  I am guessing this is relatively recent?

Not sure what the aluminum caps are. There is a crimp side to them like they were attached to a cardboard tube.

This is the second shotgun shell (Western Super X number 12 paper case) I have found here.  The rifle casing is FA 36 (Frankford Arsenal 1936).

There is also one item which has a thin metal “flap“.  I don’t know if this was some part of a music box?

Thanks for looking and any help you can offer regarding some of the random items above.

2383E3FF-2665-4A44-82C7-E858FBFCBAFA.jpeg

89AF244D-9447-49BB-8545-E1B43979A1EC.jpeg

F5DC0F94-223E-4D26-A3E7-60B2C9E88145.jpeg

D8AEF979-40B8-4B19-9231-47B18E77656C.jpeg

Good finds, Geologyhound, well done!

The thin metal piece looks like a concertina or similar squeeze box type instrument reed. It could be CW period. The D buckle could be from horse tack or saddle bag but not sure of the age. The button back is also interesting. Not all CW buttons had makers marks, as many were mass produced by third party companies to fulfill demand. The watch is very interesting and looks like it has had a crude field repair, unsure of the age, though. I woild gestimate the pocket knife to be early to mid 1900s, specially if the handle grip is plastic. It reminds me of my old Cub Scout pocket knife design that was popular back in the day.

What CPT GhostLight said.

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

The thin metal piece looks like a concertina or similar squeeze box type instrument reed.

Someone in a different forum sent me a picture of a pump organ reed.  That is exactly what it looks like.  Thanks!

The knife grip is plastic.  I was guessing at mid 1900s.  Looks like there was a small oval plate affixed to one of the grips. But only a fragment of the plate is still present.

I guess I need to start a bucket of “possible” Civil War items.  😁

Anybody know what range a Civil War bullet would ring up for the D2?