Loren Lemcke On The Manticore

I really enjoyed that video by Loren. However, I usually enjoy his videos so maybe I am not the best judge.

I like them because he always has some aspects of his videos that demonstrate very clear thinking.

He also comes up with some great phrases. My favorite in this video was "prolonged suffering" in relation to how long it takes to finally "get" (or not) what a detector is telling you.

At least with some detectors, that prolonged suffering is trying to tell me that the detector I am using is not matched up well with my abilities which could mean it has inferior technology or just the wrong technology for the environment and targets that I am using it for. It could also mean that my abilities are far inferior to the detector's abilities.

Other times like Loren is experiencing, this prolonged suffering is part of the learning process when a detector is probably accurately telling the user more than they can handle and hopefully that will get better with more experience.

Sometimes (rarely for me) a new detector is just about a perfect fit.

Has the Manticore been a perfect fit for anyone out there so far...........

I always enjoy Loren's technical and scientific approach. 

I watched about the first 10 minutes regarding iron falsing. I wonder why most modern detectors don't have a ferrous / nonferrous meter. To the best of my knowledge, the only modern detectors that have such a meter, is the Legend and the new Quest models. Yes, the Manti has the ferrous / nonferrous display, but that is just an ID plotter.

I usually hunt ferrous infested sites and use little to no iron bias. I can avoid most, if not close to all, iron falsing by checking the ferrous / nonferrous meter. If it's an iron false, nothing appears on the nonferrous half of the meter.

5 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

I always enjoy Loren's technical and scientific approach. 

I watched about the first 10 minutes regarding iron falsing. I wonder why most modern detectors don't have a ferrous / nonferrous meter. To the best of my knowledge, the only modern detectors that have such a meter, is the Legend and the new Quest models. Yes, the Manti has the ferrous / nonferrous display, but that is just an ID plotter.

I usually hunt ferrous infested sites and use little to no iron bias. I can avoid most, if not close to all, iron falsing by checking the ferrous / nonferrous meter. If it's an iron false, nothing appears on the nonferrous half of the meter.

Deus and ORX have had excellent ferrous/non ferrous "meters" for a long time. Deus 2 continues that tradition with two excellent meters depending on which search mode display is used. 

Other earlier detectors have had them too.

24 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Has the Manticore been a perfect fit for anyone out there so far.....

I thought it worked really well on a salt beach with moderate black sand. There are going to be lots of gold chains found with the manticore. Transitions good from wet sand to wave wash.

4 hours ago, midalake said:

I thought it worked really well on a salt beach with moderate black sand. There are going to be lots of gold chains found with the manticore. Transitions good from wet sand to wave wash.

Agree 100% Midalake . I found it to be excellent straight out of the box on the beach . 

The "prolonged suffering" has come when relic hunting , and up to about 80 hours use I had nagging doubts that I had made a mistake buying the Manticore . I really liked Loren's vid as he was able to put many of my thoughts into words .  At 150 plus hours use now I am entering a period of admiration for the Manticore and will be very wary of any update from Minelab that may dumb the machine down . I am now digging very little iron as I learn the Manti's language . There is a depth advantage over the Nox , it's not huge but it's there . It's great at co located targets . Sound in enhanced is great . Ergonomics are better with the handle shape a massive improvement , no longer do I suffer carpal tunnel pain after a few hours hunting

The only real downside is the off center coil mount  that sees the coil tipping up in thick going . And the useless coil cover . All my Nox coils had covers so tight that I was worried about breaking them during removal .  The Manticore cover pops off every time it makes contact with a fern stem or rock .

8 minutes ago, Hunterjunk said:

There is a depth advantage over the Nox , it's not huge but it's there . It's great at co located targets . Sound in enhanced is great . Ergonomics are better

Yes!

8 minutes ago, Hunterjunk said:

The only real downside is the off center coil mount  that sees the coil tipping up in thick going

Yes.  One reason I am not buying one right now. Also, the added coil structure on the 11" coil catches more sand and water and can be a PIA when trying to swing on the sand.  
Personally, I would wait for a {10X something coil} and dedicate it to water only. 
I just do not understand this engineering concept of offset coils which make detectors harder to use in many conditions. 

That's a really good video, an education for sure, it should be watched by every Manticore owner. 

It is a more difficult detector than the Nox for sure, it's not just a turn on and go and be happy detector like the Nox is.

It's also fantastic in EMI, he's got that right, the best detector with multi frequencies I've used by far.  I've been singing it's praises with EMI since day 1 as it's so easy to notice how much better it is.  That long press EMI scan should have been on the GPX 6000, shame they only worked it out in time for the Manticore and not a detector double to triple it's price.

I don't watch many detecting vids at all, but I do watch Loren's.  And Abenson, and Rattlehead's too.  That's pretty much it.

I'm seeing just the same for EMI.  I was going to do that static test last week, but didn't because of rain.  Now I don't need to bother 😂.  But really, just using the Manticore in EMI riddled parks I'm familiar with using the Nox, it's very obvious the Manticore handles EMI better.

I do have a nit picky disagreement with Loren's overall assessment though.  For me, in parks - not a lot of iron my parks, but a lot of non ferrous trash, the Manticore absolutely is a turn it on and go machine.  Doing nothing but noise cancel, GB and adjust sensitivity, leaving ferrous limits and disc at defaults, it's tearing up the silver and clad in the trashy parks for me with very little learning curve.  Mostly just adjusting to the new VDI scheme.  It LOVES nickels, too.  I got in a 90 minute park hunt this afternoon and once again half my total coins were nickels and the only square tabs I dug I was expecting them to be square tabs.

- Dave