What Is This Eagle From?

Good afternoon.

Tell me, who knows what this eagle is from?
Presumably, this is a hanging badge from the hood of a car or a decorative ornament from an old clock.
Was found in Russia in the Smolensk region.
I would appreciate any information about this artifact.

Screenshot_2023-05-03-18-14-26.png

Screenshot_2023-05-03-18-14-22.png

Screenshot_2023-05-03-18-14-18.png

• Like 5

That's hard to guess without more information, but If I had to take a blind guess, I would imagine it is a WWII German eagle broken off of a staff car, small flagpole topper, desk ornament, or something like that since the Smolensk area was occupied by the Nazis from 1941-1943.

• Like 2

just  my 2 cents

In August 1812, two of the largest armies ever assembled clashed in Smolensk. During the hard-fought battle, described by Leo Tolstoy in War and Peace (Book Three Part Two Chapter 4), Napoleon entered the city. Total losses were estimated at 30,000 men. Apart from other military monuments, central Smolensk features the Eagles monument, unveiled in 1912 to mark the centenary of Napoleon's Russian campaign.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aigle+napoleonien&sxsrf=APwXEdcrAwRObtLskZXV99HbmR-KyuhSuw:1683138746371&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwif2da45Nn-AhWKhFwKHQmABjkQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1440&bih=820&dpr=1

RR

• Like 2

Yes perhaps a 1812 Napoleon army relic . A regiment eagle ?

Anyway it is older than WW2 to my opinion .

• Like 1

The eagle could be either WWI or WWII as the Germans used the same eagle in both wars.

I do believe that CPT is correct in his view of the eagle.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Here is the 108th infantry regiment eagle from the Waterloo battle ( 1815 ), unfortunately I dont have its dimensions . Your eagle from Smolensk could be a 1812 artifact but it is too small to be a regiment eagle I think ..

DSC00450.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, palzynski said:

Here is the 108th infantry regiment eagle from the Waterloo battle ( 1815 ), unfortunately I dont have its dimensions . Your eagle from Smolensk could be a 1812 artifact but it is too small to be a regiment eagle I think ..

DSC00450.JPG

It is similar, but it could just be an art piece as well. The Napoleonic Imperial Eagle, which was modeled after the Roman Aguila, has its head pointed 90 degrees to the left or right and the wing tips pointed down. The eagle in question has its wing tips pointed outward and the head facing slightly forward. Without closer photos of the sides, top, and bottom, as well as weight, it's hard to narrow it down. 

• Like 5

Good afternoon.

Many thanks to everyone for the discussion!

We were at the antique dealer today. He said that this eagle was indeed from the era of Napoleon!
The antiquarian is sure of this, as he has already met similar artifacts.
The eagle is gilded and, most likely, is a decorative element from a watch (watch case) or a cover element from an inkwell for writing.
He also said that with a very high probability the thing was made in a single copy for someone to order and there are no more analogues.

• Like 2

Hi, that's a nice find. I have one from a clock or furniture ornament. Typically French, they are normally described as Empire period. That being (for mine and others like it) c1860ish Napeoleon III of France, rather than Napoleonic which has a different meaning. The wingspan just over 16cm

DSCF5719.JPG

DSCF5725.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Winner said:

Good afternoon.

Many thanks to everyone for the discussion!

We were at the antique dealer today. He said that this eagle was indeed from the era of Napoleon!
The antiquarian is sure of this, as he has already met similar artifacts.
The eagle is gilded and, most likely, is a decorative element from a watch (watch case) or a cover element from an inkwell for writing.
He also said that with a very high probability the thing was made in a single copy for someone to order and there are no more analogues.

That’s an incredible find.  I’ve been searching for a match and haven’t found an exact one, so I’m glad you got a confirmation!  Epic display find for sure! 

• Like 1