Recently Dug Oddball Piece Of Iron.(added New Photos And Additional Information)

51 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

You can see for sure it had a wooden handle. Looking inside you can see the same type of a pin that you have in a shovel handle to keep it from pulling out .

Being it’s hollow inside and not a solid point I don’t think it would take much of a beating . I guess that would depend on quality of the metal.

Chuck 

Thank for commenting chuck.And yes as you stated it definitely had a wooden handle.The first two and a half inches with the pin are hollow but the remainng almost 4 inches is solid and quite heavy possibly filled with lead? One thing that i considered was that it was an end cap/stake for a flagpole but the hole is only I inch in diameter which is to small to support a large flag.I like to think that CPT_Ghostlight might be onto something with his Guidon stake opinion.I have been finding quite a lot of military relics and artifacts circa 1830's to mid 1860's in the area and all of the broken bottles, ceramics etc fit that time frame as well. Good to hear from you and I appreciate your wisdom.

• The title was changed to Recently Dug Oddball Piece Of Iron.(added New Photos And Additional Information)

Added some new information and photos.

That is some great resource material. I think you have it corralled. It makes sense iron may have been used for rocky terrain instead of brass.