Recently Dug Oddball Piece Of Iron.(added New Photos And Additional Information)

5 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Is the river big enough to have been used for logging ?

Poles with points like that were used to clear jams... might be one of those ?

Howdy Popeye and thanks for commenting.No River pond or navigatable waterway and no logging per say.Thats why I felt that if it's a pike pole for a longboat or johnboat or logging show it is out of place.

I'm going with the New York Legion's Guidon staff point.

6 hours ago, JCR said:

I'm going with the New York Legion's Guidon staff point.

I like that too JCR! When I dug it out from under the Volkswagen sized boulder it had a special feel about it and still does. Pulled this old timer out of the same site today unfortunately it has nothing to say about itself.

87C390F4-B89C-4ADD-B45A-0219BC957C53_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7659c52cbda29af02572f330cdda1f21.jpeg

041AB463-06B5-4D50-B61C-D0F6BF2DC813_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.42c482c2b6e6cae82eecc8514b53cd13.jpeg

1A55090D-5870-4B31-83F0-131ABC4F1EA1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.beaa92d6b81119d5c986d0adfaf3c131.jpeg

84821D9A-A166-4B5F-93FC-B49BB2A3ADCC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7fa3831480c044659a14b6e008c4209e.jpeg

Ball buttons fit the same historical time frame and were almost always associated with military. Mostly Academy, Militia/Volunteers.  I have dug a few. The usually have a Back mark. The raised back on yours is unusual. It also looks slightly oval instead of round.

Yup yup Doc ! 

Never heard those poles called pikes .

🤔I would have thought "pokes" more appropriate though !

I was just guessing the big rocks were from a river , guess an old glacier could have been the source too? Probably both wrong.🙄

3 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Yup yup Doc ! 

Never heard those poles called pikes .

🤔I would have thought "pokes" more appropriate though !

I was just guessing the big rocks were from a river , guess an old glacier could have been the source too? Probably both wrong.🙄

You're correct Popeye poke pole is the correct nomenclature.

Cool  Doc !  Maybe Pikes was a brand name ?   Pikes Pokin' Poles  😉

I still have a lot to learn about this old stuff and guess that's not necessarily referring to finds only........🙄

30 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Cool  Doc !  Maybe Pikes was a brand name ?   Pikes Pokin' Poles  😉

I still have a lot to learn about this old stuff and guess that's not necessarily referring to finds only........🙄

Pikes Pokin Poles? That sounds perverse Popeye!

You can see for sure it had a wooden handle. Looking inside you can see the same type of a pin that you have in a shovel handle to keep it from pulling out .

Being it’s hollow inside and not a solid point I don’t think it would take much of a beating . I guess that would depend on quality of the metal.

Chuck