Mudlarking With V1.1

Well getting out to detect with the new V1.1 update has been sporatic at best with my monsoon season in overdrive with rain everday for weeks now. As soon as I can find some dry wood, I'm going to get started on building an Ark! 😏

So one of my detecting buddies called on Saturday and said the rain has stopped for almost an hour in his part of town. Well that was all I needed so off I went to meet him at a site we call the dump which had houses there in the 1800-1950s that were then cleared to make a park. This site in dry season is hard digging, but the ground now is waterlogged, so much easier digging, however with several decades of man-made iron and ground mineralization, everything in the ground was lit up like the 4th of July! This site has a bunch of modern non-ferrous trash on top of the older iron and non-ferrous trash, and has been hunted extensively so it's always kind of hit or miss as to whether you'll find anything good there. 

Well this seemed like a chance to get friendly with the General program with the V1.1 update. I have sporatically played with General and @F350Platinum's Relic Reaper program since V0.71, but my goto has always been Fast variations for relic hunting and @Rattlehead's Silver Slayer program for coins and jewelry shooting. With all the wet ground, this seemed like the perfect scenario to see what the stock V1.1 General program would do.

The only changes I made were to bump the Reactivity to 2.5 and change from 2 Tones to Full Tones with High Sqr audio. There was a noticeable taming of the ground signals and I was able to pick out some decent non-ferrous items. Needless to say, I liked the way General handled the soaking wet ground. I switched back & forth on targets with my Fast programs and General to see if there were any differences and there were. Fast overloaded easily while General allowed the good signals through better. Now I probably could have dialed in my Fast programs at some point to better deal with the wet, but I really wanted to see what General's Subtractive frequencies could do and it did not disappoint. I will definitely be exploring General some more.

My finds on the "mudlarking" hunt include a hotel tag from the Alamo Hotel (1882-1968) which is probably a very early one, a decorative wall or door clip which may be related to the same hotel found about 6 feet from the tag, a Peters Victory shotgun cap (1911-1915), a possible valve stem cap marked "DILL CLEVELAND-O", and a very decorative metal strap or clip with an ornate water sceen on it. Does anyone know what that may be? So the exploration of V1.1 continues as the weather permits.

Mudlark1.JPEG

Mudlark2.JPEG

Mudlark3.JPEG

Mudlark4c.jpg

Mudlark5.jpg

Mudlark6.jpg

Mudlark7.jpg

Wow, that’s a really very nice hunt! 👏

Love the Alamo Hotel tag! 

Those are some interesting targets.  The newer detectors that have a Conductive Ground Subtraction option certainly perform better when needed for the conditions. Better than having a Beach mode as the only option for Inland.  Did you play around with the option to reduce you Max frequency?

You can send some of that rain here. We are too dry for this early in the year.

Really nice finds!  That Alamo tag is a keeper!

Nice hunt Cap'n, back to basics I see 🧐

General is a terrific program, I'm probably going to start from scratch with it again but I'm testing stuff at a week-long relic place that has water hunting as well.

Really like the decorated strap, the room tag and well everything really. You find unique stuff. 🙂 Glad you were able to get out!

That's a great relic hunt with great finds.

19 hours ago, JCR said:

Those are some interesting targets.  The newer detectors that have a Conductive Ground Subtraction option certainly perform better when needed for the conditions. Better than having a Beach mode as the only option for Inland.  Did you play around with the option to reduce you Max frequency?

You can send some of that rain here. We are too dry for this early in the year.

Thanks JCR! I did experiment with dropping the Max Freq to 24K and 14K on several targets. 14K would overload pretty quick in wet iron laden ground. 24K was better but didn't quite separate as well as 40k with General in the wet ground. That hotel tag was in the same hole as a ring pull and 40k separated the tones and IDs showing a recurring 74 and 86-88 right next to it. Out of the hole the ring pull IDed at 72 and the hotel tag IDed at 86. 24K kind of averaged those two targets together with the tone jumping up and down and the ID going from about 72 to 88 but it wasn't as clear that there were two targets there with 24K in those wet conditions.

I'm shipping you some rain today, enjoy! 😉