Equinox 800=old Reliable

Skate

15 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

An 800 racks up another score !

Did you find anything else besides the ring ? 😎

Actually a bunch of pennies! You can bet that even though I was short on time I was digging every good tone regardless because this place is exclusive. The best thing I found that day was probably the two people who run this club and another one owned by the same group further down the beach. I was able to connect with them and the one manager said I should become the exclusive ringfinder for each club! 

I spent a half hour with the manager telling her stories of finds over the years and every person that came in she was telling them I found the ring from last night's wedding. I kept all the trash and junk from the search and showed her how I cleaned their beach of debris for them. I gave them my card and left with a couple of new friends. 

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

My 800 is pretty solid, aftermarket shaft, aftermarket arm cuff, aftermarket coils, the control pod is all I care about and it's been good to me.

Ditto -- much sweeter swing with a full CF shaft and sturdy cuff.

I was using the Legend for a few months exclusively until I picked up the 10x5 Coiltek coil for the Nox. That coil on the 800 is a little piece of magic! Next thing I knew, I was pulling quarters galore out of previously worked territory.

And then I brought the Legend w/stock coil out to the same worked/re-worked area the other night and pulled out even more coins (all clad) and absolutely zero trash! I'm starting to wonder if angle of approach is a significant factor here, on top of machine + settings + coil combo?

• Like 4

yep, that's why we circle targets, The 800 shook the market to its core for a reason, fantastic detector.

• Like 3

800 great machine...found lots of great stuff with it...I still have my wife's 800 to use if needed with the small coils. I have not picked it up since buying the M-Core but may have to if the small coil is needed.  But people saying saying the M core is no better the the 800 is ridiculous..more features deeper machine way better audio options etc.. come on man give me a break...😀

strick 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, glacialgold said:

I'm starting to wonder if angle of approach is a significant factor here, on top of machine + settings + coil combo?

It all matters: angle of approach, coil, frequency, audio settings, discrimination, notch, TID accuracy, repeatability, and stability; sensitivity, variable soil conditions on the same patch of soil (moisture, added trash, etc.), etc.  Also, different detector models process targets differently even with nearly identical settings, coils, frequencies, and recovery speeds.  Finally, we rarely ever cover every square millimeter of ground even if we think we do, so declaring a site “hunted out” is almost always wrong.  All of these factors and infinite variable combinations make claims that one detector is better than another because targets have been pulled out of a “hunted out” patch dubious at best and most likely meaningless.  You kind of proved that with your Legend > Nox > Legend anecdote. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, strick said:

800 great machine...found lots of great stuff with it...I still have my wife's 800 to use if needed with the small coils. I have not picked it up since buying the M-Core but may have to if the small coil is needed.  But people saying saying the M core is no better the the 800 is ridiculous..more features deeper machine way better audio options etc.. come on man give me a break...😀

strick 

Oh, the manticore is much better in so many ways such as build quality, the nice interface and screen, more features 2d target trace etc but finding the coins I'm after at the moment I can't see how in my situation I will find more using my Manticore than I would my Nox, maybe that will change with time as I find new areas and give it the "first run" rather than going over done ground but so far I'm not finding anything I've missed.    At my local sports field where I got hundreds of silvers I haven't found one with the Manticore yet that I'd missed in about 17 hours of trying.  That kinda surprised me as I found 31 in total with the CTX when I first went there after the Nox, perhaps they're the 31 the Manticore would have found the Nox missed 🙂 There is also the factor of the operator, maybe I need to learn the detector more too to get iffy targets.

I wasn't on the forum when I first got my CTX so I didn't do a post about it at the time but the first day I took my CTX to the field I'd been using my Nox for a year the CTX came out with 12 silvers almost all the smallest 3 pence coins I'd previously missed mainly due to depth and I think possibly they were on edge and the CTX gave me a better dig me signal on them.  The other possibility which is likely is because the 3 pence comes up on the pull tab ID I rejected them with the Nox thinking they were a pull tab and the CTX ID'd them away from the common Pull tab ID.   My dig decision on coins vs pull tab is usually depth, if the target is deep its more often than not a coin, under 6" I write it off as a pull tab as I rarely find a silver coin under 6" deep, 6" to 10" seems the sweet spot for silvers here, probably more than 10" if I had a detector good enough to find them.  My deepest have all been with the CTX and 17x13" coil.

That was my first time using it! I was hoping the Manticore was going to give me a nice surprise like that.

For the two things I do with it, prospecting (800 is currently better due to coils) and silver coins it's not so far been a detector that's surprised me or excited me with what it's finding.

People in trashy areas or more difficult soil or something may notice a more dramatic change, in my very mild clean soils I guess the playing fields are more even which is probably realistic as I honestly believe 90% of the coins I found at that sports field my Ace 300 could have found.  I've taken it there a number of times randomly and my results were similar as when I was using my Nox.

Beach hunters have clearly shown the benefits over the Nox, you're obviously finding it a lot better than the Nox too strick so that's great, I hope I end up feeling the same eventually, I'm happy with the target ID improvements now as it has improved for me to a point it's more in line with what I'd expect with the larger range of numbers.

I use the Manticore as my primary now, but if I had to go back to using my Nox I wouldn't feel like I'm missing much.

• Like 5

On 6/21/2023 at 9:33 AM, D&P-OR said:

I thought the E800 was a "chirpy" motha!

Health and life has turned me into a dabbler at most so infrequent is a understatement  I feel the same way until i get with the plan, ground balance is a must for some areas i go but noise canceling is a must do and do often plus lowering sensitivity will still get good depth.  Iron infested ground i just lower iron volume as i like to hear what's going on.  If you turn iron off you have a super quiet above average detector but your not playing with a full deck:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 6/21/2023 at 12:27 AM, phrunt said:

My opinion is the 800 is still right up there as the pinnacle of VLF's,
performance wise it's not been left behind by the Manticore.  
For anyone that doesn't have a 900 or Manticore you're not missing all that much,
I would not think I'll find much more using my Manticore that I'd miss with my Nox 800. 

**Extreme circumstances like perhaps heavy iron or something maybe, but under most conditions very little difference.

holy crap, thank God I'm not the only one!!!  my only disagrance would possibly be **

maybe? but... the couple of times I found silver surrounded by iron with my small coil and 800 made me question my rage to buy the Manticore. manti is great, but its no CTX (also sold thinking I'd never use it again after buying manti)

• Like 1