Anybody Seeing Depth Issues With The Manticore Update?

38 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Have you just considered doing a factory reset to see if it changes it back?

I bet that would probably work.  Sounds too easy though 😂.

Besides, reinstalling the update let me try it on my difficult dime again, then rollback and try it again.  My machine hits that particular target better with the old version.  I don't know that I'm seeing the same, or as much of an issue as @abenson but I think I'm seeing some of it.

At some point I'll reinstall the update and do more testing.  But for now, I'm more confident and comfortable with the old version.

- Dave

Thanks from me to all those who are posting their update experiences . I am carefully reading every post , and being very cautious  .  The Manticore in it's original form has been doing very well for me . It's beach performance in particular is outstanding , and in the bush it's pulling coins from hard hit sites .  So I will sit on the fence for a while yet and try to get an overall picture from all your experiences . on here and other social media .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, UT Dave said:

I remember reading that.  I think I remember reading he had a crosshair on his target trace too.

- Dave

Yup- that's the one.

After going back to the previous software version on the Manticore, doing some testing and then updating to the most recent version, I apparently had a bad update the first go around. Because now the most recent download is much better than the first one I tried.

However, I'm still seeing some weird stuff with the update and one of them is depth issues in my soil. It's not as bad as the first try, but it's still very apparent to me after hours of testing. The first update was like the stabilizer was stuck on 6 or something because even what I consider shallow targets were hard to detect. Now it's better but I'd say the 900 and D2 are at least a good inch deeper and maybe more. The signals area also choppy on the Manticore and I'm thinking this is the result of Minelab's attempt at general stabilization. I think this is the result of mineralized ground and those who have mild soil have nothing to worry about.

I did a video of what I'm seeing and even in my test garden with the Manticore before and after the update it's pretty apparent it acts different on deeper targets. I also took the 900 and D2 out to one of my relic sites which has a bit milder ground to see how the update compared to the other detectors and it's also pretty apparent to me the Manticore isn't performing as well. So that being said I'm going back to the old version and sticking with it until Minelab does something different.

If anyone else is seeing similar issues I'd like to know about it because Minelab has said they want to call and talk to me about what I and others are seeing with the update.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Oh my! 1

17 minutes ago, abenson said:

After going back to the previous software version on the Manticore, doing some testing and then updating to the most recent version, I apparently had a bad update the first go around. Because now the most recent download is much better than the first one I tried.

However, I'm still seeing some weird stuff with the update and one of them is depth issues in my soil. It's not as bad as the first try, but it's still very apparent to me after hours of testing. The first update was like the stabilizer was stuck on 6 or something because even what I consider shallow targets were hard to detect. Now it's better but I'd say the 900 and D2 are at least a good inch deeper and maybe more. The signals area also choppy on the Manticore and I'm thinking this is the result of Minelab's attempt at general stabilization. I think this is the result of mineralized ground and those who have mild soil have nothing to worry about.

I did a video of what I'm seeing and even in my test garden with the Manticore before and after the update it's pretty apparent it acts different on deeper targets. I also took the 900 and D2 out to one of my relic sites which has a bit milder ground to see how the update compared to the other detectors and it's also pretty apparent to me the Manticore isn't performing as well. So that being said I'm going back to the old version and sticking with it until Minelab does something different.

If anyone else is seeing similar issues I'd like to know about it because Minelab has said they want to call and talk to me about what I and others are seeing with the update.

I watched your video and as you were adjusting the stabilizer and how it was affecting the signal I noticed that stabilizer still said OFF when you were increasing it. 

For the stabilizer, the new instruction manual does mention that you're only supposed to use it in heavy iron.  But it doesn't matter much if the on/off setting for it doesn't work!

Definitely something off with the update!

I think a mistake Minelab have made is allowing saved settings to transfer across between firmware versions.  An example of this is when people roll back firmware versions they've had things like the big red numbers exist and stuck on with a firmware that didn't even have them.

I think best practice with Manticore firmware updates would be the factory reset before and after updating which is what I did with mine, and generally always do on detectors that update.  A habit I learnt over the years flashing many thousands of laptop and computer motherboards.  It's always best to start from a clean slate.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Yatahaze323 said:

I watched your video and as you were adjusting the stabilizer and how it was affecting the signal I noticed that stabilizer still said OFF when you were increasing it. 

For the stabilizer, the new instruction manual does mention that you're only supposed to use it in heavy iron.  But it doesn't matter much if the on/off setting for it doesn't work!

Looks like the stabilizer is set to 0 and the stabilizer filter is off.

40 minutes ago, Yatahaze323 said:

Yea I noticed that on the video once you mentioned it. But it's obviously turning on as you can tell by the way it performs. If you watch the Brass Medic video the stabilizer filter and the adjustable part of the stabilizer are two different adjustments. Filter ON only works when you have it set to anything above 0, and what it does is makes the signal weaker/quieter when it thinks it's iron. It will still have the broken audio on what it thinks is an iron object.

I would only use it heavy iron for sure, I just wanted people to know what it's doing to your depth in mineralized soil.

For now I'm sticking to the old version, I like it better.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I think a mistake Minelab have made is allowing saved settings to transfer across between firmware versions.  An example of this is when people roll back firmware versions they've had things like the big red numbers exist and stuck on with a firmware that didn't even have them.

I think best practice with Manticore firmware updates would be the factory reset before and after updating which is what I did with mine, and generally always do on detectors that update.  A habit I learnt over the years flashing many thousands of laptop and computer motherboards.  It's always best to start from a clean slate.

Good advice! I had done a factory reset before I went back a version hoping it would fix the original update that went South. But forgot to do one when I loaded the new one again. 

Sorry about the bad lighting, but there is most certainly something wrong with your firmware, it really makes no sense either but with mine, as is meant to happen when you change stabliser off 0 it's meant to turn on, and off when you go back to 0, yours doesn't do this and that to me makes absolutely no sense, you still have a software problem.  Maybe your Manticore has bad memory corrupting the files as what you're getting is weird, it makes no sense, they should all behave the exact same running the same software unless something is corrupting the software and in your case it sounds like that's exactly what's happening. 

I'm just trying to translate your issue into computers as that's what I know and for example if you were to have a computer with a bad memory module and you flash it's bios with an update you will get corruption in the update, it could be as simple as text doesn't come out how you expect or it could be much more of an issue causing the flash to fail, but a common thing was something like the bootloader screen normally saying American Megatrends AMI Bios version 101.10 or something, and after the flash with the bad memory it would say A%mer-can M^gatrends AM7 Biov ver0sion 1.~!.`10 with the code being damaged in the transfer by the bad memory.  This seems to me like it's what's happening with your detector, something similar.  I don't think your problem is firmware related, I think you've got a faulty detector.