Anybody Seeing Depth Issues With The Manticore Update?

Gotcha...I just haven’t been hunting enough to worry about the new update but that’s good to know...hope they have a roll back method.

strick

1 hour ago, abenson said:

Just got off the phone with Minelab....

Thanks, Andrew, for doing the legwork that (hopefully) helps all of us out.

1 hour ago, abenson said:

...There is no way to go back to an older software version at this time.

Given the number of people who have never bought a Manticore but still think they have free reign to bitch about it as if they knew what the hell they were talking about, I (as an owner) hesitate to get too riled up, yet.  However, this first issue (irreversible update) gets a F grade in Computer Science 101.  Who is in charge over there, Bozo the Clown??

If in fact they actually (intentionally or unintentionally) reduced the depth for mineralized ground with this update, I'm at a loss to figure out how a company whose headquarters is on a continent with some of the worst mineralization on the planet (I realize Oceania isn't uniformly highly mineralized) and who design and build detectors for finding native gold -- often located in the worst ground -- doesn't have a test patch (or more than one) with heavy iron oxidation with which to test changes to ensure they work under varying extreme conditions.  Most of us don't live on a pristine white SiO2 beach.

I hope there's a simpler explanation that leads me to apologize for this rant.  Short of that I hope ML figures this out and fixes it.  In the least they need to allow people to revert to the earlier software version.  (For once my procrastination seems to have paid off...).

I wonder if it's a one off, something went wrong with the detector or something, I haven't seen anyone else having the same problem.   If would be ideal if someone lived near you with another Manticore with the update on it so you can compare them. 

There is no problem at all in my soils. 

If anyone lives near you that's going to be the solution to the problem, you either know if you have to send your detector in for warranty, or if they're all the same after the update.  If they are I'm sure Minelab will be rushing out another update soon!

Minelab should be able to supply you with an update tool for the older firmware, even though the new tool doesn't have a way to roll back they will have a flash tool for an older revision, perhaps contact service@minelab.com.au and ask, that way you're not dealing with middlemen.

I live pretty close to @abenson (I've run into him detecting a couple of times).  In a few hours I'll give my Manticore with the update a compare to my Nox 800 in my test garden which is likely very similar dirt to his.

- Dave

56 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I wonder if it's a one off, something went wrong with the detector or something, I haven't seen anyone else having the same problem.   If would be ideal if someone lived near you with another Manticore with the update on it so you can compare them. 

There is no problem at all in my soils. 

If anyone lives near you that's going to be the solution to the problem, you either know if you have to send your detector in for warranty, or if they're all the same after the update.  If they are I'm sure Minelab will be rushing out another update soon!

Minelab should be able to supply you with an update tool for the older firmware, even though the new tool doesn't have a way to roll back they will have a flash tool for an older revision, perhaps contact service@minelab.com.au and ask, that way you're not dealing with middlemen.

If it is a one off there is no way of correcting it at this time with no way of going backward and reloading the update. When I connect my Manticore it tells me I have the most up to date software version with no other option to do anything.

I'm headed out to do a video which I will post this evening. I will compare the D2, Manticore and 900 on some buried targets to show what I'm talking about.

5 minutes ago, abenson said:

If it is a one off there is no way of correcting it at this time with no way of going backward and reloading the update. When I connect my Manticore it tells me I have the most up to date software version with no other option to do anything.

I'm headed out to do a video which I will post this evening. I will compare the D2, Manticore and 900 on some buried targets to show what I'm talking about.

Thank you Sir.

55 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

I live pretty close to @abenson (I've run into him detecting a couple of times).  In a few hours I'll give my Manticore with the update a compare to my Nox 800 in my test garden which is likely very similar dirt to his.

- Dave

Thanks Dave---we will be looking forward to your report.

TLDR:  Inconsistent enough to be inconclusive.  But I think I'm probably not having depth issues.  Probably...

In my backyard.  A silver Rosie I buried 7" deep, in 2007.  It has migrated North about 4" from where I buried it.  There's a tree nearby that wasn't there when I buried the dime and I suspect the tree roots have moved the dime.  Whether it got any deeper, shallower, tilted, no idea.  But it has moved.  Another silver Rosie two feet away, buried 5" deep hasn't moved.

Manticore with the update and a Nox 800 on the latest update, both 11" coils.  Only one machine at a time turned on.  Both noise cancelled, then ground balanced, and re-ground balanced at every search mode change.  The Manticore got noise cancelled a few more times when got a tad noisy switching modes.  Ran sensitivity on both machines as high as they would go and remain quiet/stable and that was 26 - 27 on the Manticore and 24 on the 800.

Both machines all tones.  Recovery 4 on the Manticore and 2 on the 800.

Edit to add:  Default ferrous limits on Manticore except in ATG where I have lower opened up completely and upper at a flat 3 (that's my go to mode and I didn't feel like changing my regular Ferrous limits on it...).  FE2=2 on the 800.

First go with the Manticore.  I left the Stabilizer at 4, as it came out of the box with the update (ML video says default is off, but it's not).  Started with ATHC but all the AT modes were similar.  Could get "a signal" on every sweep, but it was not a good sounding signal.  Iron grunts mixed in with numbers mostly in the 50's but swinging from high 40's to high 90's.  Just not a dig me signal to my ears - I would not have stopped for it on a wild hunt.  Turning on default disc made it more broken up and worse.  It jumped all over the 5" dime though.  Goldfield gave strong signals but was ringing mostly 50's.  I probably wouldn't dig it on a turf coin hunt but most other types of hunts I would.

Tried the 800.  Only used P1, didn't have to try anything else.  It gave a good signal that I'd dig.  Little faint, little jumpy, but hitting in the sweet range and sounded pretty good to me and combined with the depth, I'll stop and dig that.

Went back to the Manticore.  Just swept it over the 7" dime, just to see, before changing the Stabilizer to 0 to see what difference that would make.  Dang Manticore was hitting pretty good on the dime this time?  Just turned it on, no change of any settings (it was in ATHC).  Just minutes earlier it was really struggling on that dime.  But now it was gave a signal that would cause me to investigate.  A soft but distinct beep in the high 60's on first sweep and circling it could get a pretty good 70-80's from one direction, with a pegged depth meter.  Still a few random iron grunts in AM, but this time it actually sounded better with default disc on.  I'd  dig that.  I still think the 800 hit on it a bit better though?  Turned off the Stabilizer, went back and forth off and on a few times - it sounds better on that dime with the Stabilizer turned off, for sure.

Edit to add:  The Manticore AT modes were all quite similar, but, ATHC did in fact provide the best signal on the 7" dime.  On the first go round with it, I wouldn't have stopped for any of them though.

I'll have to play with the Stabilizer in real iron, but seems like for a typical turf hunt for me, it's better left off.

And so that is so inconsistent, I'm not going to draw a conclusion.  I don't "think" I'm having depth issues.  Because the Manticore did hit on the dime.  But, then again, I do "think" the 800 hit on it better?  And there was that first try, where the Manticore just whiffed.

Sorry I'm not contributing any clarification here.

- Dave

Thanks Dave for your test. I'll just wait and see what Minelab has to say and hopefully will give a way to fix it with either a way to go back a version or re download the update. Mine has something wrong with it, did a video but I'll hold off posting it and just wait and see what Minelab says.