I've Gone Whites Crazed

Whites was my favorite company until they went under.  I lived an hour and a half from the factory when they closed their doors.  Before I moved back to Oregon; I went through Jimmy Sierra. 

The only real difference that I noticed on the MX Sport was when I air-tested a Brass button and a Minie ball, they both came up "Bullet".  On the MXT, they read what they were.  I mentioned that to Whites right after it came out.  I doubt if they ever fixed it.  Thank God the GMX Sport works the same as the 24K!

I have an XLT and a DFX (Dual Frequency XLT).  I don't use them much.  I rent the XLT with a 15" coil out once in a while to someone looking for iron spikes in logs before they send them to the mill.  I have the old "Sierra Madre" program on my External Hard drive.  That was for Cache Hunting with the big coil.  I need to dig that out and share it.

6 hours ago, V3i/MXT Pro said:

The color screen on the V3i and the ability to analyze individual frequencies, while using simultaneous multifrequency mode, are still unrivaled by anything on the market today. Further, all these years later, the MXT ground tracking system remains best in class. Two of White’s best machines and well ahead of their time.

The only thing I didn't like about that screen was it was Polarized.  When looking through Polarized Sunglasses in the bright sun, the screen was BLACK due to the double Polarization.  I always had to Pinpoint with my back to the sun.

That tracking Software was designed by Dave Johnson who was freelancing after he left Fisher.  He also sold it to Tesoro for their Lobo Super-Traq.

When he went back to Fisher, he decided a GRAB button was better.

Sounds like a bad case of Whiteitis…….no known cure and can be highly infectious to those around you. 
Symptoms include wide staring eyes and a crazy laugh and often includes rash (but oh so satisfying) decision making (especially on eBay). 

My first years of metal detecting involved Whites metal detectors.  I especially liked the Liberty Di and always found a silver dime when I hunted with one.  I currently own 4 Whites.  Eagle II SL 90,XL PRO and 2 Liberty Di units.  One is a super rare demonstration model.  The accessory coils are numerous.  I also have most of the Jimmy Sierra loops(Applied Creativity) that were made.  You cant' go wrong with Whites!

P1020574.JPG

I still have the MX7…….used just a few times. I don’t really grass/dirt hunt but I can’t let her go. I did recently sell my mint XL Pro with four coils to a happy detectorist somewhere in the USA. 

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

I still have the MX7…….used just a few times. I don’t really grass/dirt hunt but I can’t let her go. I did recently sell my mint XL Pro with four coils to a happy detectorist somewhere in the USA. 

They must have really wanted it bad to import from Australia... bet that cost a mint

40 minutes ago, phrunt said:

They must have really wanted it bad to import from Australia... bet that cost a mint

Not too bad actually……shipping and fully insured for about $50 USD.

I could have sold it several times over such is the demand for these cult machines.

I think he sold two of the bigger coils and recouped $200….so it only really cost him $300 all up.

Still own my DFX that was in the 1st batch that came here in the UK,wont ever part with this machine has done me proud over the years,also have a decent condition IDX Pro but dont use it as much as i thought i would and then my as new off the production line TDI Pro these are getting harder to find these days and still in my opinion terrific Pulse machines.....although i still own these Whites machines and also alot more modern machines still my all time favourite detector is my original green T2 that has found me more gold and silver milled and hammered coins than all my other machines put together.

22 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Over the past two weeks I've bought an MXT, V3i, and Spectrum XLT.  There's just something I like about those big box detectors.  I swear, somebody better not post a 6000 XL. It's one I've always wanted to try.  That MXT is a beast with DD coils on it.  I wish I could have found the Pro model just for the ground grab button but for no more than what I have in this regular MXT, I'm not complaining.  The V3i is one complex dude.  It is going to take some time to figure it all out.  I've not received the XLT yet but I know a few guys from Georgia that used to hunt with them in all metal and would wear me out in red dirt on Civil War relics.  I always wanted one...took me nearly 30 years to get one.  

Side note:  In playing with the V3i, it may very well have one of, if not the deepest, most customizable all metal mode of any VLF machine I have used. In my test garden I am wooed.  Whether or not that setting will be usable in actual hunting conditions, is yet to be determined.  

Hello Daniel TN.

A "ground grab button" modification can be done very easy if you want to have one on the std. MXT. But hunting  in "Locked" GB, flipping the Trac Toggle to [Ground] and then back to [Lock] will do the same; and the MXT will stay "original" without an added Pushbutton. (I am not responsible for any damage!)

Good Luck & Have Fun

MXT-PushButtonExtensiongroundgrab.jpg.004b94070c53f1a81633cfb3dbbc609e.jpg

The auto trac system on my MXT Pro is lightning fast and updates to changing ground conditions much more effectively than either my Legend or Equinox. It’s so efficient that I seldom use the lock setting or ground grab button (except to prevent “tracking out” a weak signal). BTW, I rarely ever use the ground tracking mode on either my Legend or Equinox.