Sphinx 03 Pinpointer

The guys over in that part of the world make good stuff!!

How does the unit turn on and off coming out of the sheath??

Magnetic switch maybe?

Looking forward to your videos on it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bigtim1973 said:

How does the unit turn on and off coming out of the sheath??

Magnetic switch maybe?

Yes by the looks of it, the use of magnets.

Sphinx03-3.thumb.jpg.3325c12c417b468b1c376585b26a1c06.jpg

• Like 3

I use Sphinx 02 + XP Deus II for 2 years.

Magnetic is awesome. 

This is a very popular device in our country. Many have switched from XP Mi 4/6 to these pinpoints. Personally, I did it for the sake of speed of search. The number of signals and finds extracted from the ground has increased significantly.

There are minor inaccuracies with the holster. Better working If had added more magnets or slightly changed its shape. So that the device automatically turns on/off in all possible positions.

• Like 6

Never heard of it. Some day I'll explore it throughly but for now I am happy with my Garret.

TC-AZ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TC-AZ said:

Never heard of it. Some day I'll explore it throughly but for now I am happy with my Garret.

There is nothing wrong with the Garrett AT, currently my favourite pinpointer.  I have my doubts the Sphinx is going to be be my new favourite but it's too early to know.  I really like the phone configuration app, so much easier than trying to get these stupid button sequences some pin pointers have to do settings.  The Garrett is easy enough on the button, so is the Pro-Find, the TRX and F-Pulse are a pain to do settings on but this Sphinx just has so many settings that having the App just had to happen really, you can set your preferred audio tone and everything.   You can even do a custom sensitivity setting by configuring it with a target to get the depth you're chasing on that target, I guess in some situations being able to do this maybe handy.

I may end up preferring it for coin hunting than gold prospecting as in early testing it's not showing this incredible sensitivity that was mentioned in the review by Cipher with it blowing the TRX away.  Just not seeing that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pavelka72 said:

Is this pinpointer your creation? I've not had it long enough to form a proper opinion but it seems pretty good, the phone app although not in English is easy to use and excellent to make settings control easier than annoying button and beep combinations of other pinpointers.  If someone can use a Nokta detector like the Simplex or Legend they can navigate the app easily enough without speaking Russian 🙂 I suggest making an English app though, it's not that many words to translate and would make a nice difference rather than just using the little icons as a guide as to what settings do.

It's not as sensitive to small gold as the Whites TRX (Discontinued anyway) but appears slightly better than the Minelab Pro-Find 35 and better than the Garrett AT.   

The TRX had the sensitivity in air tests although I was never able to run in maximum sensitivity in the ground as it would be unstable, the Sprinx so far has ran mostly stable for me.  Sometimes after large metal it continues to sound off until I turn it off and on but other than that it's ran perfectly stable in maximum sensitivity.  It was pleasing to see maximum sensitivity is default, often it's not as you can't run maximum anyway like the TRX.

I will be putting up some video comparing it when I get time.

I had not yet compared to my XP Mi-4 as I'd lost it, but found it this morning on my GPZ harness.  I haven't used the harness in ages or the Mi-4 🙂

• Like 4

A little update, after a bit of testing I'm seeing it as more sensitive than the XP Mi-4 so the only one more sensitive than it out of my pinpointers is the TRX when set to maximum sensitivity, and even then the TRX for me at least can't be used in maximum sensitivity as it reacts to the ground too much and is unstable, so far the Sphinx remains stable and doesn't react to the ground on maximum sensitivity.

I'm yet to test how it affects the GPX 6000, 5000 and GPZ 7000 but I believe it doesn't cut off the coil like the Pro-Find and XP-Mi4 do when turned off so it's likely to be problematic with the GPZ.

I'll try get a video or two up next week, I'm very busy at the moment building myself a little cabin for my detecting stuff to go into and when not doing that I'm skiing so I just have no free time to make videos.

• Like 3