Cure For Falsing Hunting In High Mineralization, Iron, And Modern Trash?

Those are sounds that I often hear 60 miles north of you if I am running sensitivity and audio response too high.

Back when I was doing a couple of nugget testing videos, I had several good intentioned people tell me the reason that my Deus 2 was not hitting small nuggets was because I had my audio response too low. This video by Paystreak is a good example of possibly what to do and what not to do in high iron mineralization. Keeping sensitivity under control, possibly slightly raising reactivity above 1 or 1.5, and slightly lowering audio response to 3 or 2 at least and maybe doing multiple ground balances are the best ways for me to not go crazy from hundreds to thousands of audio responses during a hunt on supposedly "clean" ground that is actually full of natural iron particle concentrations that are big enough to fool many high gain VLFs.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I've been experimenting

93 Sensitivity is still high for a mineral environment, MHO. Would have liked to hear it at 89-90. I don't like how he swings. 
Everyone MUST do their own depth testing to see how the audio response reduces depth in their location. Depth loss WILL happen. 
Did I say I don't like how he swings. 

• Like 4

Land hunters have more challenges to deal with as demonstrated by this video.  I can run my AR at 7 on our beaches and it runs smooth, quiet and stable.  
Everything depends on the environment and that’s a very big reason pre-determined settings serve only to get you in the ballpark.  Dialing in the detector is key.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2023 at 11:37 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Those are sounds that I often hear 60 miles north of you if I am running sensitivity and audio response too high.

Back when I was doing a couple of nugget testing videos, I had several good intentioned people tell me the reason that my Deus 2 was not hitting small nuggets was because I had my audio response too low. This video by Paystreak is a good example of possibly what to do and what not to do in high iron mineralization. Keeping sensitivity under control, possibly slightly raising reactivity above 1 or 1.5, and slightly lowering audio response to 3 or 2 at least and maybe doing multiple ground balances are the best ways for me to not go crazy from hundreds to thousands of audio responses during a hunt on supposedly "clean" ground that is actually full of natural iron particle concentrations that are big enough to fool many high gain VLFs.

I agree Jeff. Very similar conditions here. My main take away was that it reinforced what I learned after the V1.0 update. I used to treat AR as a static setting and just left it at 5 for all programs and hunting scenarios. V1.0 showed me that you can't do that anymore. V1.1 taught me that this is a very powerful extra control that can and should be adjusted to conditions just as much as the other controls are. It took me a while to figure that out. 😏

On 8/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, midalake said:

Did I say I don't like how he swings. 

I don't like his swing style either. I'm sure he has his reasons, but I'm not in that kind of hurry unless there's lightning nearby! 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thanks for sharing that CPT. That dude had a few too many espressos that morning but his vid was informative none the less. I was getting dizzy watching him whip that coil around. Next time in the heavy iron I will try an AR of "0" just out of curiosity. 

• Like 1

Audio response kinda tempers sensitivity and definitely reduces depth as midalake said. Sensitivity itself also reduces depth, so all but these 2 variables being equal in the settings, can we achieve the same result by decreasing sensitivity with an increased audio response?  If you try it, please let me know what your conclusions are. 

19 hours ago, TJ Jeepguy said:

Audio response kinda tempers sensitivity and definitely reduces depth as midalake said. Sensitivity itself also reduces depth, so all but these 2 variables being equal in the settings, can we achieve the same result by decreasing sensitivity with an increased audio response?  If you try it, please let me know what your conclusions are. 

That's a good question. Paystreak states that the Audio Reponse is an audio amplifier which makes tiny and deep target easier to hear so it shouldn't affect the depth the detector is hitting, only the ability to hear those softer deep targets. I will have to do some more field tests on that and get back to you.

Right, AR doesn’t technically reduce the depth of  the detector, but it does reduce the depth the detectorist can hear a target.  

• Like 1

It will also effect the degree of audible EMI & Ground noise.

• Like 2