Knee Pads

Is there a good set of knee pads to recommend for detecting? I was thinking about carrying around a rectangular one to use or possibly buying a pair of Carhartt double front pants that are designed to put their knee pads into. Apparently you can wash the pants with the pads in place which would make things simplified.

I just buy cheap ones from Home Depot, generally only use one detecting. If you go that route try not to get pads with metallic hardware, and always cross the straps in an X so they won't slip. 🙂Two strap pads are better than single strap.

• Like 4

Any pads I have purchased with elastic bands tend to stretch and slip through the clip, so I am constantly tightening them.  I have a set with corduroy/canvas type straps and I rarely have to tighten those.  I got pads with hard caps.  If you hunt anywhere with rocks, the hard caps will be good.  Of course, if you are out west, the hard caps also offer protection against the goat’s head seeds.  Natural caltrops, and those spikes can penetrate a pad, jeans, and skin underneath.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, midalake said:

I usually let the women wear the knee pads.....😂

Monica Lewinskys brand?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Any pads I have purchased with elastic bands tend to stretch and slip through the clip, so I am constantly tightening them.  I have a set with corduroy/canvas type straps and I rarely have to tighten those.  I got pads with hard caps.  If you hunt anywhere with rocks, the hard caps will be good.  Of course, if you are out west, the hard caps also offer protection against the goat’s head seeds.  Natural caltrops, and those spikes can penetrate a pad, jeans, and skin underneath.

And ground cactus...

4 hours ago, TexHunter said:

And ground cactus...

Yep.  Each region has its own challenges.  Know your area…. Holly leaves can be enough of a problem, let alone old blackberry, or wild rose, or gorse, etc.

• Like 2

I knelt down hard and thought I broke my knee cap.   Turned out to be an acorn, but hurt like ?!@#$ 😅

Since then I've ALWAYS worn knee pads.  I'm a big guy and have been through 10-15 types/brands.

These are the best I've ever used.  They have a hard shell.  They also have wide straps that don't go behind your knee.  One strap goes around your thigh and the other around your calf.  They have the rugged, gel filled fabric on the inside and are really comfortable.

Best knee pads

• Like 4

I use the caterpillar H2O work pants with the knee pad pockets. The orange heavy foam pads slide in and work great in all situations. got tired of the ones that always seem to move around or drop to your ankle when climbing hills. When worked  in construction in Kalifornia we always called them Hollywood slippers.