Knee Pads

For everyday relic hunting and detecting my preference is KUIU hunting pants.Pricey yes but they are stretchy lightweight and virtually indestructible and with very capable built in kneepads.I have two pairs the Pro pant for the hot weather months and Talus hybrid for the wet and cold weather season.Have been abusing both pairs for more than four years now with zero issues.

utEE83071F-0576-45C8-A4B2-C14DCDB99D0C.thumb.png.d76556a491fd2601d28cff1dd0510c6f.png

B12005B9-C0D3-49B0-94AE-93A7C0D0CB7E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.e0bca76da89b170d3025d52857c5797f.jpeg

• Like 7

my primary goal wearing a kneepad is to save my pants from the dirt and debris that gets ground into the knee area when kneeling down to recover / investigate targets. Before long the dirt grinds into the fabric and soon a hole forms. As some mentioned above, rocky ground and/or cactus /thorns can make for an uncomfortable outing as well. I like wearing a removable pad rather than specialty pants with heavy duty reinforced knees as i don't have to change.  Just place the pad over whatever i'm wearing. 

Mine are the inexpensive construction type kneepads found at Lowes or Home Depot.  A pair of Velcro straps hold it in place. Like somebody else mentioned, I typically wear just 1 pad as i kneel down on my right knee. There have been a few outings i use both, but not usually.  Too, having a pad with a thin hard shell has been a plus against thorns/rocks. I didn't spend much on them and the originals lasted like 15 years.  I replaced them last year as the velcro ceased to work well. I think i spent about $25 at most.

I've seen some guys use inexpensive iron on denim patches to extend the life of their pants and others spend big bucks on specialty construction workers pads. All work in some fashion, just a matter of finding what suits you best. 

• Like 2

KNEEPRO III. 
articulated, hard shell, comfortable  all day. Stops puncture weed(goats head) cheatgrass, prickly pear, sharp rocks and grass stains. 
the ones pictured are 10 years old and have thousands of hours on them. Though I’ve had to replace the elastic straps a few times.

google it. It’s a little company out of Idaho, and they are one of those forever products that work. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 10:03 AM, dave_e said:

I knelt down hard and thought I broke my knee cap.   Turned out to be an acorn, but hurt like ?!@#$ 😅

Since then I've ALWAYS worn knee pads.  I'm a big guy and have been through 10-15 types/brands.

These are the best I've ever used.  They have a hard shell.  They also have wide straps that don't go behind your knee.  One strap goes around your thigh and the other around your calf.  They have the rugged, gel filled fabric on the inside and are really comfortable.

Best knee pads

I like the looks of those!   With that strap above the knee it looks like they’ll stay put and not slip down.  

• Like 1

My Bad Back & Knees have been Liking the 100% Gel Pads for years

• Like 1

I use, and have used these for years now, for metaldetecting, diy and wrenching on motorcycles. Never had sore or stiff knees again. 

Don't know if they are available in your country. They are often available at "Aldi" in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany and France. 

https://www.promobutler.be/nl/aldi/promoties/promotie-huismerk-aldi-bij-aldi-kniebeschermers-met-gel-kniebescherming-werkkledij?id=2138276

• 2 months later...

Yes you do Doc and they are as good as you say they are.

More than satisfied customer here.

I have used gel knee pads that I bought off of Amazon (I think the brand is NoCry). Cost me about $25. I only use one for my left knee and it has served me well for over 3 years. Definitely keeps the knee protected and the gel padding is surprisingly comfortable and can definitely extend your hunting time! Whatever brand you decide on, I highly recommend you get one!

• Like 2