Small Coil?

H20waterhunter

16 minutes ago, midalake said:

The current D2 coil at 8 3/4" is not small enough??  The Detector with the best separation values in the world.   Not knowing any better, I might think it was April 1st.   Or do they need to make a 3" coil?  :cool:

Fair question midalake.For me personally and types of hunting and tight situations that I get myself into it's not so much about the actual diameter of the avalible coils as much that it is the shape.No it's not April fools day!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, midalake said:

The current D2 coil at 8 3/4" is not small enough??  The Detector with the best separation values in the world.   Not knowing any better, I might think it was April 1st.   Or do they need to make a 3" coil?  :cool:

I'm not laughing at you, but at the 3" coil. I agree with you about best separation in a 9" coil. 😉

I also agree with @Doc Bach that it's more about the shape. I think the 11", 11"x13", 9" and 9"x6" coils would cover all the bases for me. 😏

19 hours ago, midalake said:

Since we are talking about a DD, this really has little to do with separation other than if there are multiple targets under a coils footprint, you may get some edge interference from targets that are detected at the edge of a coil and the smaller the footprint, the less chance of that happening in areas where you have high target density.  There are advantages to DD elliptical coils in general and small ellipticals in particular versus round coils.  The narrow width allows more side to side swing room when in tight swing situations such as brush or cornstalks as mentioned several times previously the longer length provides for more swing coverage that a round coil with a diameter the same width as the elliptical.  For example, a 10x5 affords more side-to-side swing ability than a 10-inch round coil when there is less than 10 inches of swing room.  It also provides the SAME amount of swing coverage as the 10-inch round, and if you use Geotech's rules of thumb for detection depth vs. coil size, a 5x10 elliptical has about the same depth performance as a round coil of approximately 6.3 inches in diameter.  In the linked Geotech post there is a chart that shows the optimal target depth for a coil at 10 inches diameter is about 5 inches (not maximum detection depth) and for a 6.3 inch coil it is about 4.75 inches.  In fact, Geotech's post which references some insights by Eric Foster discusses the pros and cons of small and large coils beyond just depth and might be a useful read for those who are interested this Deus II coil discussion.