Canadian Steel Clad And Recovery Speed

KDX

A toonie?

That's a Canadian $2 coin, made partly of ferrous metal. I suspect that nickel is as well.

Switch to a high frequency SMF mode or high frequency SF mode, and they will hit more consistently on the ID and 2D screen.

EDIT: Chase posted pretty much the same thing as I was writing up this post 🙂

If more of us would not choose to keep our location top secret in our profiles, things like this coin misunderstanding could be avoided. Not calling you out KDX, just wondering in general why members don't want to list their location. Afraid someone will try to claim a find that was posted? Afraid someone will move in and compete? I'm not sure......I guess there are reasons because so many locations are blank. Just a state would be nice.

5 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

If more of us would not choose to keep our location top secret in our profiles, things like this coin misunderstanding could be avoided. Not calling you out KDX, just wondering in general why members don't want to list their location. Afraid someone will try to claim a find that was posted? Afraid someone will move in and compete? I'm not sure......I guess there are reasons because so many locations are blank. Just a state would be nice.

The profile location information would be helpful, but I understand why people are not keen to share too much personal information in a persistent/static online profile tied to a specific user name where it can be more easily scraped by data miners and bots.  So I don't fault KDX for that. So I think it's more about personal privacy than metal detecting location privacy.

However, that being the case, I would hope that KDX would realize that the average reader would have no idea he is talking Canadian coinage and would therefore be a little more forthcoming with such relevant information sooner, preferably in the title of the thread, so he could get better responses and attract those who have more experience detecting Canadian or other similar steel clad coinage.  Perhaps Clive @cjcor Dave @midalake with his Mexican coin experience can chime in here and help out.

As a moderator, I also took the liberty of updating the thread title to explicitly ID Canadian Steel Clad coinage.

@KDX, let me know if this change to your thread title is helpful or not.

• The title was changed to Canadian Steel Clad And Recovery Speed

@ Chase Goldman

No problem with changing the title thread. I was thinking of posting a thread to see if there was some interest in a few members testing their Manticores on some Canadian clad. I would be willing send them some if they wanted to see what digging junk North of the border is like.

Hi KDX,

Try lowering recovery speed to 4 or 5, sensitivity between 16 and 19.  I usually am on LC and have been using prospecting audio.  Takes some getting used to the sounds but I do believe the audio helps to identify the core sound of your target.  You will find an extreme difference between bottle caps and modern Canadian clad.  Our clad has way less pronounced iron or bass tones.  Also new quarters are scratchy sounding like a rusted through tin can.  Dimes are almost impossible if you are discriminating.

Hope that helps!

4 hours ago, TripleT said:

I usually am on LC and have been using prospecting audio.  Takes some getting used to the sounds but I do believe the audio helps to identify the core sound of your target. 

👍 Yes sir! I tried prospecting first when I bought the machine back in January and haven't come off of it. Very descriptive of the target once you learn the sounds. I'm not digging foil anymore because of it's distinctive short sound which is different than the gold sound in that same TID range.

Identifying in ground before digging; Canadian clad is a challenge for sure but the Manticore is much better with it than the CTX IMO. One thing to remember is Canadian clad from 1968 to year 2000 has high nickel content. After 2000 they all became steel coins is my understanding. That high nickel can affect how they ring up on a detector. I just got my Manticore and have had good experiences finding Canadian steel clad with ferrous upper limit opened around the 61 VDI, on the 2D I usually get a visual horizontal line there and then a diagonal line from that down to the lower left. Sort of like a hockey stick (I kid you not). Recovery speed set to 3 or 4.  This is  mostly NOT the $1 Loonie and $2 Toonie coins though, just steel quarters, dimes and nickels ... still need to dig more dollar coins in the dirt to make a generalized statement.   PS what ever happen to "dig it all"

2 hours ago, w-t-d said:

PS what ever happen to "dig it all"

Ha! It would take you 8 hours to cover a 50' square on one of my beaches. Foil and pull tabs every 2'. At that place I skip digging 29-30-31 TIDs and skip all foil sounds. You have to, or you'll have a miserable day.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:53 PM, Chase Goldman said:

Perhaps Clive @cjcor Dave @midalake with his Mexican coin experience can chime in here and help out.

On 11/16/2023 at 10:43 PM, KDX said:

I was thinking of posting a thread to see if there was some interest in a few members testing their Manticores on some Canadian clad.

I have zero experience with Canadian Clad. But did extensive testing with the Manticore and Mexican Bi-metal pesos. 

The Manticore is unique because you can use notches in very narrow iron windows. Testing in your conditions is the key. My goal was to see if the manticore would separate the 1-2-and 5-peso coin.  On the bench the Manticore did a great job of putting the 2 and 5 pesos in one notch and the 1 peso in another. 
However, when in real conditions the one peso shifted into the same notch as the 2 and 5 pesos. No matter how much I tried to tweak it. I could not get any separation on these coins.

HOWEVER, I could separate them from other iron with great confidence. 

Using those upper and lower-level iron notches on your particular coins and live testing will tell you what is possible. 

Its not just  that our CDN coins are full of steel but also that the Manti and Legend see them as alloys--they  are being biased out.  When  one of these coins has been in the ground  a while they become more like the ground and are even harder to detect.  For my purposes, alerting to the tiny "flag" that the non ferrous  part of a CDN coin gives is  an  excellent trainer for small gold.  You might  as  stated above do well to run a high FQ. With the Manti--peaked tones mean good, non ferrous metal--distinct from the ground.  CDN coins are pretty  much the opposite.  Makes these  machines a hard sell up here as good as they are.  Hate to say  it--but here's  another case for taking the time to learn a  bit of basic  detector theory instead of going out with this "I just dig everything" mentality.  Its these nuances  of signal  type  that let you  wade through the amount of fidelity that a machine like the D2 or Legend or Manti offers and not go out digging targets that aren't even LIKE what you  are looking for. 

cjc