Just Joined

longcruise

I've never done any detecting before but I met a man who was detecting while elk hunting and had a pleasant chat with him.   He showed me some of his findings and I was intrigued at the thought that these things were found in a place I've been walking around in for years. 

Not sure I'm going to go down this rabbit hole but I'm going to peak into it at least. 😀

Welcome to the forum, from southern AZ. What detector do you own or are you comtemplating on buying one?

I hope you will give detecting a fair try. It is a very enjoyable pastime. 
Welcome from East Texas.

Welcome aboard !

Have you ever wished you could get paid to exercise ? 

Sometimes it isn't very much , but then there are the OH WOW  finds !

If you do decide to try this ,,,you sure did pick a good place to learn !

Any questions will get you some nuggets of knowledge here....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the welcoming words 😊 

My apologies for being AWOL, lots of stuff going on. 

I don't have any equipment as of now but will probably gear up early summer.  I have six major projects to either complete or start and finish by May 1st.  I was surprised to find how pricey it is to get started but I remain intrigued. 

2 hours ago, longcruise said:

Thanks for the welcoming words 😊 

My apologies for being AWOL, lots of stuff going on. 

I don't have any equipment as of now but will probably gear up early summer.  I have six major projects to either complete or start and finish by May 1st.  I was surprised to find how pricey it is to get started but I remain intrigued. 

Oh what to heck its only money, LOL

Doesn't have to be that expensive just starting out, then once you are really hooked that's when it gets expensive, you can get into a decent really great starting detector for a few hundred dollars these days, any old cheap pouch and a cheap shovel plus maybe a hand digger and maybe a pin pointer which is not really necessary but nice to have it just makes recovery of targets a little faster, and you are up and detecting, but if you are like some of us once you are really hooked that's when the next greatest thing starts calling your name and you have to go out and buy one, but the reality of it is you can have just as much fun with a beginners detector as you can with a detector that cost 6 times more than that beginners detector, these new detectors out now days some of the cheaper ones are almost as good as the more expensive ones, as far as depth and other things are concerned and believe me depth is not all its cooked up to be most targets are found at 8 inches or less and in reality most at 6 inches or less, the key to this hobby is take it for what it is (A Hobby) and just have fun, none of us are going to get rich doing this great hobby so again just go out and have fun, it makes the metal detecting aspect of it much more enjoyable in the end, and be prepared if you actually take up this great hobby you will dig up a ton of trash targets

Welcome to this great forum DP   

There are plenty of cheaper detectors that work really well given the right situation, so if you describe your local area and what sort of ground you would be looking for targets, I'm sure between us all we can put you onto relatively cheap equipment to do the job.  Some detectors are insanely overpriced for little other reason than they have little to no competition due to locking up the technology with patents.

3 hours ago, longcruise said:

I was surprised to find how pricey it is to get started but I remain intrigued.

Worth every cent.......just remember a single high end golf club can cost the same as one metal detector.....and you need 14 golf clubs. The only exception is Simon (Phrunt).......with 14 detectors 🤫