Audio Question... High Sqr Or Pwm?

CPT_GhostLight

PWM all the way.  I tried square and high square, but keep coming back because I feel that I'm missing too much information.  I don't want my Deus to sound like a Manticore or Equinox anyway... I ended up selling both of those, and one big reason was that I was constantly having to check the VDI because the sound didn't tell me enough.  (the Manticore, by the way, added a sound profile to make it sound like what they think the Deus sounds like.  It is nowhere near the same, though)

• Like 4

On the beach I use Square all the time with Audio Filter 1. Sounds very minelabbish, which is what I personally like. While it seems to contain the least audio information, there are still subtle differences preceptible. Foil f.e. sounds very smooth and round, as where rings and massive objects give a distinctive "plopp" at the beginning. Very big targets give a super loud tone. With High Square, the tone changed too much with difference in depth, for my personal sense. I can imagine PWM + pitch + fine tuned notch is going to work better in iron. Will give that a try, if i get on the fields again.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

high square full tones. even if pwm is better, i just cant listen to a duck all day.

audio filter 2 

offset FT +15 to get a good chirp on them silvers.

A friend of mine calls it the dying duck call! 🤣

I don't mind PWM at all. I just think High Square is more pleasing to my ears, but there's more experiments to be done whenever I get a chance to get out again. I will say that High Square has been my goto since it came out though. 😏 

• Like 1

Adjustments in the equalizer can really enhance high square’s audio information. I was a diehard full tone PWM guy, but after messing with the equalizer I’m now a full tone high square guy (for now anyway). However, in pitch I’ll only use PWM as the other tone options in pitch  basically annoy my ears to no end. 

• Like 3

As I have updated ( with a little delay .. 🙂 ) my D2 from 0.71 to 2.0 this week  ,  I spent some time to compare  SQUARE and HIGH SQUARE .

HSQ is a mix of PWM and SQ,  I found it very efficient on my areas infested with old irons, using my usual setting ( SENSITIVE , 5 tones ) . I did some depth measurements on my home bed tests and it seems to go a little deeper than SQ especially on little targets ( < 4g ) , I dont know if anyone else has noticed this ... And HSQ do provide more audio infos on targets too as stated by XP .

Long story short at the moment I prefer HSQ vs SQ but I need more time to learn/master it , at least 20 or 30 hours . 

Btw I dont use PWM any more after having used this audio during 15 ( ! ! ) years since my Goldmaxx in 2007 and my D1 in 2013  .  First I wanted to change and second I find the PWM audio a little too agressive for me now .  SQ is a very good audio but may be a little too filtered .  HSQ seems to be a good compromise and I think it will be my choice ..

• Like 7

Square is great for beep beep sounds, but realistically doesn’t provide much useable feedback other than target indication.  Still a nice audio to have in your arsenal. 

• Like 2

I think HSQ is a good compromise too. Have been using PWM since many years with D1, since 2 years with D2 but know it’s my first choice. So, I 100% agree with Palzinski!

• Like 2

I was wondering if High SQR was similar to the way PWM relays target information and it sounds like it is from many of the responses I've seen. I still haven't been able to get out and test it myself because I have family home for the Holidays. So thank you all for the replies and I wish you all Wonderful Holidays! 🎅

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1