Detecting In The Rain.. Glad I Did

Early 19th Century USA silver coins don't come easily even East of the Mississippi, let alone West.  Your California Gold Rush hypothesis makes a lot of sense, even though there was (AFAIK) a lot of bartering even then, including trading raw gold for day-to-day provisions.  All three of your > 1 1/2 Century old finds are in excellent shape given they've been being worked on by weather and soil conditions for so long.

Your unknown item looks a lot like a mid-20th century bottle opener although it looks overbuilt for that task, and if the age fits with the other two I highly doubt it since I don't think crown caps came into existence until much later.  Certainly appears to be for some kind of task that involved leverage, but what?  Probably for an everyday activity in a stable, barn, kitchen, saloon, or part of the buildings trade.

Great finds!

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Early 19th Century USA silver coins don't come easily even East of the Mississippi, let alone West.  Your California Gold Rush hypothesis makes a lot of sense, even though there was (AFAIK) a lot of bartering even then, including trading raw gold for day-to-day provisions.  All three of your > 1 1/2 Century old finds are in excellent shape given they've been being worked on by weather and soil conditions for so long.

Your unknown item looks a lot like a mid-20th century bottle opener although it looks overbuilt for that task, and if the age fits with the other two I highly doubt it since I don't think crown caps came into existence until much later.  Certainly appears to be for some kind of task that involved leverage, but what?  Probably for an everyday activity in a stable, barn, kitchen, saloon, or part of the buildings trade.

Great finds!

Very well said GBA...I appreciate your vast knowledge not only about coins in paticular but bottles and relics as well.

Amazing condition on the coin. The branding iron is certainly unique & special. I think the other iron item is some sort of heavy duty strap adjuster. There should be some more interesting items at that site.