Well It Wasn't My Last Hunt Of The Year - Rare Coin!

Nice score on the Virginia half penny!!! And don't jinx yourself, you are in an area that you can beat that 1607 six pence. 😮 My oldest coin was found on a path and was only about an inch deep, so anything is possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joe D. said:

I beg to differ, a gold coin will trump any silver you've found so far! (Jmo) And they hold up better in anyone's soil conditions! Next year, I predict you will find one!🥇😉🍀👍👍

Thanks for the clover man, I'll just keep digging those foot deep pull tabs... 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I'm surprised he hasn't turned one up yet as he's hit just about all my other bucket listers, so yeah, maybe next year.  Just glad Bob lets me bottom feed off his permissions.  It's been a good Fall/Winter relic season so far for both of us.  I'm doing good on total quality finds, but can't get my coil over the old coppers like Bob can.  Of course I have to drive two hours to pillage Bob's front yard and other Northern Neck permissions vs. his daily access.  Despite that I'm holding my own and enjoy Bob's company, coffee, and permission access generosity. 

It's been a fun 2023, Bob, thanks and looking forward to a some more visits in 2024.  Congrats on the Colonial Copper, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

Thanks, and you're welcome anytime. 🙂

I think it's luck, maybe the clovers are the key 🤣 For sure it's not a high level of science for me. Gut feelings seem to work well... 🤔

It was so cool we both pulled a silver Merc each in that last field at the same time 😀 And you really did better than me on buttons! 👍

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Yes sir!!!  Wtg. 

Thanks! I'm going to have to get some more places tho, by the time we get through with them all you hear is iron 😆

Gotta get out there is all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Hell yeah Bob!   Most of us can only dream of finding a coin like that!  Good luck in the new year and I’m looking forward to the gold coin you find in ‘24!

Thanks NC,

It will be "hell yeah" day then for sure. 👍 We both have that as a possibility.

My buddy wants me to now find the 1773 silver Virginia Shilling, that sucker is worth $50k. From a guy who has more than one Pine Tree. 😬 It's possible but not probable, we will see. I sure didn't expect to find either of the coins in this thread! 🤯

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Nice score on the Virginia half penny!!! And don't jinx yourself, you are in an area that you can beat that 1607 six pence. 😮 My oldest coin was found on a path and was only about an inch deep, so anything is possible.

Well now I gotta ask, what IS your oldest coin, and did you get to keep it? 😀 I can only imagine what you can find with a PI, SMF only gets me there fast and shallow. Not too mention some of the old places you get to go.

From what I've seen and know on this forum, the guys in PA seem to get more than any of us, MD is pretty good too. Guess that's where all the money was 🤣

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Well now I gotta ask, what IS your oldest coin, and did you get to keep it? 😀 I can only imagine what you can find with a PI, SMF only gets me there fast and shallow. Not too mention some of the old places you get to go.

From what I've seen and know on this forum, the guys in PA seem to get more than any of us, MD is pretty good too. Guess that's where all the money was 🤣

I'll answer question #2 first - NOOOOOOO  😭 It is a Spanish Quatro, date range (no actual dates on these) 1516-1520, Found in 2016 - so could have been 500 years old when found. Found on a foot path that was a Native American fort and later an English fort. 1" deep.  I knew it was hammered when I saw it.

001.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 3

22 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

It is a Spanish Quatro, date range (no actual dates on these) 1516-1520, Found in 2016

Yikes, sorry about that, but glad you have photos! 👍

I find Spanish silver here, but doubt actual Spaniards ever traversed the land here. This peninsula was discovered in 1606, so my 1607 KJ1 was probably dropped a bit later by someone in a subsequent exploration up the Potomac. Got his belt buckle and a couple of buttons as well. 🙂

Unless someone from England had some older coins in their pocket or coin purse, or Cap'n John Smith dropped some himself, that would be about it. 😀

This area was incorporated in 1648.

One can dream... 😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I probably won't beat that old coin!

You know history is there.  Do you really think you have found the oldest piece of it?

Prove it.  haha

• Like 3

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

My buddy wants me to now find the 1773 silver Virginia Shilling, that sucker is worth $50k.

Would you keep a $50k coin?  😁

• Like 2