Well It Wasn't My Last Hunt Of The Year - Rare Coin!

43 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Yikes, sorry about that, but glad you have photos! 👍

I find Spanish silver here, but doubt actual Spaniards ever traversed the land here. This peninsula was discovered in 1606, so my 1607 KJ1 was probably dropped a bit later by someone in a subsequent exploration up the Potomac. Got his belt buckle and a couple of buttons as well. 🙂

Unless someone from England had some older coins in their pocket or coin purse, or Cap'n John Smith dropped some himself, that would be about it. 😀

This area was incorporated in 1648.

One can dream... 😎

Incorporated in 1648, even if it was settled 50 years later, you still have the possibility of hammered coins. Coins were hard to come by, so any coin had value. I'm sure there was quite a bit of bartering then if you had no coins. 1607 is no joke.... that's early.  you should be able to plot the sections you get early coins from and revisit them a lot 😄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Would you keep a $50k coin?  😁

Good question, more likely, no. 🤑 But as there are only 6 of them known in existence, more likely I'll never find one.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Good question, more likely, no. 🤑 But as there are only 6 of them known in existence, more likely I'll never find one.

I would keep it,  .............. but I'm sure the grand kids would sell and share it ......... they will have to wait till I'm not here to keep it protected form them. The longer they have to wait the more it would be worth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

I would keep it,  .............. but I'm sure the grand kids would sell and share it ......... they will have to wait till I'm not here to keep it protected form them. The longer they have to wait the more it would be worth.

The half penny would be worth quite a lot if it was in good shape, it's really just an interesting bit of history now. 😏 I'm glad to get anything at all!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

The half penny would be worth quite a lot if it was in good shape, it's really just an interesting bit of history now. 😏 I'm glad to get anything at all!

Are you considering having a professional cleaning done on it Bob?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Are you considering having a professional cleaning done on it Bob?

There are a few different versions of this coin, one of the more valuable variants is the "No period" version which has no dot after "Georgivs".

There are different counts of harp strings, all kinds of stuff, but I think this one would be rated MS-Worthless by PCGS. 😆 I think it probably wouldn't be worth the $100 to find out, as even better examples are only worth $50.

I could probably dust it off some more and Renaissance Wax it to slow the bronze disease. 🤔

• Like 2

Half a penny is worth more than none 🙂

Great posts Bob, maybe next year you do better, if that's possible!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kac said:

Half a penny is worth more than none 🙂

Great posts Bob, maybe next year you do better, if that's possible!

Thanks kac,

I hope this hobby never gets boring, but with all the possibilities here, I can't imagine it will. Buttons are still a favorite! I've got almost 400 years of history around me. You probably have as much. 👍

HOW did I miss this thread ? Now I just used up all of my likes  ! 

Talk about Merry Christmas ! Even your yahd is giving you presents ! 

I always expect "something good" when you post your out front yahd finds . 

Your yahd sure outdid itself this hunt though ! OOOOOie ! 

• Haha 1