Well It Wasn't My Last Hunt Of The Year - Rare Coin!

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I've been working an old school yard but it can't yield a coin before 1980s!  I come here and see what a really old coin is about.

That would keep me out in that field several times a week while it is open.

Congratulations.

Thanks!

As we all know it's location, I happen to live in one of the oldest parts of the Colonies and it hasn't changed a lot since then. Most of my location is still farmed, so relics are everywhere. I consider all my relic finds to be luck, not so much skill 😅

I do have to moderate my hunting, my wife actually likes having me around. To be able to say "I'll be right out front" is kind of a bonus 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yeah, when you said that you were done for the year I had my doubts. 🙂 I've said that to myself a few  times over the years only to go back out the next day.  To be able to go outside your front door and dig hundreds of years of history is a luxury that most of us can only dream about. Congrats, Merry Christmas and good luck in 2024!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

Super find!   Keep going...you never know what you'll uncover.

Good job soldier....😄

Thanks Colonel, there's a lot more field where that came from. I'm hoping the winter stays mild. Got family stuff today, and it's going to rain tomorrow afternoon through Wednesday. I want to get out and try the WSA II XL headphones my wife gave me, initial test was sketchy but it was air testing indoors 😀 might hit the field before the rain tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Colonel, there's a lot more field where that came from. I'm hoping the winter stays mild. Got family stuff today, and it's going to rain tomorrow afternoon through Wednesday. I want to get out and try the WSA II XL headphones my wife gave me, initial test was sketchy but it was air testing indoors 😀 might hit the field before the rain tomorrow.

Good luck.  I have the WSA II XL and love them...wouldn't use anything else.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Compass said:

Yeah, when you said that you were done for the year I had my doubts. 🙂 I've said that to myself a few  times over the years only to go back out the next day.  To be able to go outside your front door and dig hundreds of years of history is a luxury that most of us can only dream about. Congrats, Merry Christmas and good luck in 2024!

Thanks Compass!

I rate this my second best hunt his year, best was this one early this year when I dug the oldest coin I will probably ever dig:20230224_172515.thumb.jpg.812f3979a9c68d0225494160fb12184b.jpg20230224_172535.thumb.jpg.e4ea414488f1ecd6aa040f5728c6de0f.jpg

it's from 1607. A King James 1 sixpence, well half anyway. Like this find I got a period buckle and a button or two.

it's been a great year for relics. I probably won't beat that old coin! 🙂

Merry Christmas to you! 🎄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

it's been a great year for relics. I probably won't beat that old coin! 🙂

I beg to differ, a gold coin will trump any silver you've found so far! (Jmo) And they hold up better in anyone's soil conditions! Next year, I predict you will find one!🥇😉🍀👍👍

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

I beg to differ, a gold coin will trump any silver you've found so far! (Jmo) And they hold up better in anyone's soil conditions! Next year, I predict you will find one!🥇😉🍀👍👍

I'm surprised he hasn't turned one up yet as he's hit just about all my other bucket listers, so yeah, maybe next year.  Just glad Bob lets me bottom feed off his permissions.  It's been a good Fall/Winter relic season so far for both of us.  I'm doing good on total quality finds, but can't get my coil over the old coppers like Bob can.  Of course I have to drive two hours to pillage Bob's front yard and other Northern Neck permissions vs. his daily access.  Despite that I'm holding my own and enjoy Bob's company, coffee, and permission access generosity. 

It's been a fun 2023, Bob, thanks and looking forward to a some more visits in 2024.  Congrats on the Colonial Copper, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

• Like 5