Quick Tip For Waterhunters: Protect Your Speaker

Sinclair

It‘s always a pita to remove the water behind the speaker grille after a hunt + the speaker attracts magnetic material / sand.

Simple solution:
Cover the grille with a sticker. I use a clear sticker, which you can buy on a roll and cut it to your desired size. Did that to my Nox years ago, and it still holds up fine. I don‘t use the speaker anyway.. even with the sticker on, it‘s loud enough for tests etc.

IMG_3786.thumb.jpeg.5949880afeb66c82286ac0e436d69189.jpeg

Ahhh. Thanks for the tip! I use a cover for my Remote to keep spray and sand off of it but I haven’t dunked it yet. I’ll cover the grille with a waterproof tape when I get deeper into the water — when it warms up a bit.

• 1 month later...

This is simple and very useful advice.  With the Equinox detectors, this was a weak point, in many cases the detector got soaked there.  With the D2 I didn't think this would be a problem as the machine is water resistant to 20 meters.  But it's better to prevent trouble, it's true.  I will also cover the D2 speaker. 

Screenshot_20240222_114719.jpg

As long as the detector remote isn't dissipating heat and pressure through the speaker grille it should be fine to do this.

I remember buying a cover for my Equinox, and one day it was really hot out the screen faded. Removing the cover solved the problem.

2 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

As long as the detector remote isn't dissipating heat and pressure through the speaker grille it should be fine to do this.

I remember buying a cover for my Equinox, and one day it was really hot out the screen faded. Removing the cover solved the problem.

I had the same experience one very hot day in the Keys.  Removed the cover and in a few minutes, all was back to normal.  

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

1 hour ago, ColonelDan said:

I had the same experience one very hot day in the Keys.  Removed the cover and in a few minutes, all was back to normal.  

Happened to me yesterday. I just keep my cover on and dump some water over it with my scoop. Goes away quickly. 

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The covers are like putting a big plastic bag over your head, imagine how hot it would get in there.  Not always the best of idea in a warm climate.  I've got them but only use them if I'm doing something rough that I think I'll do some damage or scratch my screen, normal detecting I'd never use one, it's crazy to do so.