Late To The V2.0 Party…..

Yes I’m comparatively late installing V2.0.  Why?  I don’t intend to get the Xtrem Hunter which, as I understood XP’s release notes, was the major upgrade in 2.0…. along with a sensitivity increase in Goldfield….a program I don’t use.  So why install it now?

As I followed  reports by some very respected detectorists I know, I saw more of a potential upside than I originally thought.  So, I installed V2.0 on my #2 Deus and took it to Cocoa Beach today for a short test run and I wasn’t disappointed.  Although no gold was uncovered this trip, I have a few observations…no formal testing, just perceptions.  

1). I believe XP may have generally enhanced the sensitivity throughout the programs.  I may be wrong but several targets that sounded off strongly were really MICRO and 2-3 scoops down in damp sand.  So small were these targets that it took me awhile to find them even using my MI-6!!!  Impressive 😊

2) The TID seemed more solid overall, registering more of a stable number than before….again, just an initial perception.  

3) It seemed to me that the volume of the pinpoint function was a mite lower than in V1.1

When I got home and cleaned up all my equipment…including me, I installed V2.0 on my #1 Deus.

V2.0 and I will become close friends I’m sure and additional observations/perceptions might follow.  😉

4 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

installed V2.0 on my #1 Deus.

Not only can I confirm the same impressions about the update, but I advance my own modest theory about its release.

Although the addition of a new feature for the Xtrem apparatus was in the beginning the reason for initiating downloads, it is clear that other bugs have been fixed without overemphasizing it.

And still this is good because I finally find in Xp the first factory that "listens" to the end users.

Too bad for someone else who does not release software and aims to sell three or four more tools that remain unknowns.

For me they remain so because after the purchase the party ends there....

Once is also too much, especially at that price.

Thanks for the report Colonel,

I'm pleased to see that others are observing differences that may not be documented. The timeline of releases was such for me that certain nuances weren't perceptible until where I was hunting changed. I've followed the versions as they came out, and only having one RC unit and one WS6 until this past November made some transitions difficult at best. Not from an updating experience, but experience in the field. All updates were relatively smooth.

As it stands now, after many sessions where I tweaked parameters during live hunts, I'm extremely pleased with V2 over the older versions. When I think about it the environments I hunted in did not change, but the way the detector worked did, and did so to sometimes an uncomfortable degree.

I've already compared my two V2 RC's in the same environment with the same program and found there to be no additional fear of hardware differences, so that concern is out of the way. Maybe some took that for granted but I didn't.

Now I'm thinking of rolling back one of the RCs to V0.71, creating identical programs on both - this may be of interest as well if some parameters are not the same - and trying both in the same live conditions. Would anyone interested in that? I have never used any of the Gold programs, for the most part it has been Beach Sensitive, Relic, and General.

I want to help anyone who might be reluctant to update to V2. I was not reluctant and am pleased with the final outcome, but it took some effort to reach that outcome. 🙂 There are still some things that bother me, and I want to see if they were there all along.

I have a Deus2 WS6 master ( without the RC )

I have updated from V0.71 to V2 a month ago . I didnt have any issue with the V2 after a few hours with it , except I had to reprogram my personal settings which were lost during the update . V2 seems to be very reliable in the field ..

For info I use SENSITIVE  with the following changes : 

- HIGH SQUARE audio ( instead of PWM )
- 5 tones ( instead of 3 ) with changes in the tones breaks and tones settings

Then I only do a few changes from the factory settings , it is easy for me to reprogram my settings if I loose them by error or during an update  ..

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks for the report Colonel,

I'm pleased to see that others are observing differences that may not be documented. The timeline of releases was such for me that certain nuances weren't perceptible until where I was hunting changed. I've followed the versions as they came out, and only having one RC unit and one WS6 until this past November made some transitions difficult at best. Not from an updating experience, but experience in the field. All updates were relatively smooth.

As it stands now, after many sessions where I tweaked parameters during live hunts, I'm extremely pleased with V2 over the older versions. When I think about it the environments I hunted in did not change, but the way the detector worked did, and did so to sometimes an uncomfortable degree.

I've already compared my two V2 RC's in the same environment with the same program and found there to be no additional fear of hardware differences, so that concern is out of the way. Maybe some took that for granted but I didn't.

Now I'm thinking of rolling back one of the RCs to V0.71, creating identical programs on both - this may be of interest as well if some parameters are not the same - and trying both in the same live conditions. Would anyone interested in that? I have never used any of the Gold programs, for the most part it has been Beach Sensitive, Relic, and General.

I want to help anyone who might be reluctant to update to V2. I was not reluctant and am pleased with the final outcome, but it took some effort to reach that outcome. 🙂 There are still some things that bother me, and I want to see if they were there all along.

F350,  I would be very interested ion the V.71 s V2.0.  If you're willing to go to the trouble of reinstalling your custom programs and running the comparisons, I'd be one of your first readers of that report.  👍

9 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

F350,  I would be very interested ion the V.71 s V2.0.  If you're willing to go to the trouble of reinstalling your custom programs and running the comparisons, I'd be one for your first readers of that report.  👍

I'll give it a go.

Specifically what I'll be looking for:

ID changes

Increase in overall sensitivity

Bump sensitivity

And of course anything else that appears 😀

Here's what I have perceived in this transition:

Coin IDs, particularly US 1 cent coins with their different compositions changed, and a slight shift in Dime ID.

Overall IDs seem to have become "tighter", and more consistent.

When I changed versions overall depth seems to have increased, and locating very small items was much more frequent, as Colonel Dan mentioned above.

When I got out Relic hunting in the fall, I noticed increased bump sensitivity on stalks and stubble, and also noticed contour or maybe black sand sensitivity in the water before that. Enough to mention it.

I'm not looking to bash the D2, or expose any sort of subterfuge, heck I think no other detector will do for me at present after a long time studying others' remarks about other new machines here.

I just want to be able to clearly identify anything I've speculated on in as controlled a manner as possible, and have the resources for live trial a few steps from my door. 

I also have 2 WS6 units now, no better time to try that as well. 🙂

In a way the whole thing is moot, simply moving forward and dealing with perceived undocumented changes is the path we all have to tread these days with program updates (think cell phones, computers, watches etc.), but hey I'm retired and have the time to fool with it. 🤪 I don't think there will be a Deus 3 soon, but I do expect older versions to become unavailable.

55 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I'll give it a go.

Specifically what I'll be looking for:

ID changes

Increase in overall sensitivity

Bump sensitivity

And of course anything else that appears 😀

Here's what I have perceived in this transition:

Coin IDs, particularly US 1 cent coins with their different compositions changed, and a slight shift in Dime ID.

Overall IDs seem to have become "tighter", and more consistent.

When I changed versions overall depth seems to have increased, and locating very small items was much more frequent, as Colonel Dan mentioned above.

When I got out Relic hunting in the fall, I noticed increased bump sensitivity on stalks and stubble, and also noticed contour or maybe black sand sensitivity in the water before that. Enough to mention it.

I'm not looking to bash the D2, or expose any sort of subterfuge, heck I think no other detector will do for me at present after a long time studying others' remarks about other new machines here.

I just want to be able to clearly identify anything I've speculated on in as controlled a manner as possible, and have the resources for live trial a few steps from my door. 

I also have 2 WS6 units now, no better time to try that as well. 🙂

In a way the whole thing is moot, simply moving forward and dealing with perceived undocumented changes is the path we all have to tread these days with program updates (think cell phones, computers, watches etc.), but hey I'm retired and have the time to fool with it. 🤪 I don't think there will be a Deus 3 soon, but I do expect older versions to become unavailable.

Super.   I'll be looking for it....and I'm sure we'll be in touch as this comparison progresses 

14 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

As I followed  reports by some very respected detectorists I know, I saw more of a potential upside than I originally thought.  So, I installed V2.0 on my #2 Deus and took it to Cocoa Beach today for a short test run and I wasn’t disappointed

I am going to be finding out shortly. Does anyone know if V2.0 handles mineralization better? Especially black sand? 

9 minutes ago, midalake said:

I am going to be finding out shortly. Does anyone know if V2.0 handles mineralization better? Especially black sand? 

Meh, that one is on you 😀, I did notice some small instability, but you have a lot more experience there, and I don't think I have a as much of it here as you do. 👍

I call attention to my last paragraph particularly, but hey it'll probably be 4 more years until there's a D3 so we have to have something to talk about 🤣

I have no black sand in my area but any instability was cured by adjusting sensitivity and/or reactivity.  I suspect that the degree of instability, if there was any, was attributable to enhancing sensitivity throughout the programs....just a guess on my part.