Going From .71 To 2.0 Update. Salt Beach With Black Sand.

I am probably going to rant but will try to get all the information out. Been using .71, since inception and now just changed to 2.0. 

Summary: I was really impressed with the overall difference between the two operating systems. Beach and Beach Sensitive used with 9"coil. Will provide all my settings if you want. 

With 2.0

1. Better handling of Black Sand mineralization. 
2. More punch power, with better TID's
3. Better TID at depth. 
4. Not as much Iron up-scaling [but a caveat] 
5. WAY---WAY easier on the ears with mineralization noise. Identical sensitivity and the ability to hunt one or two-points higher sensitivity.
6. Good job of still blanking bi-metal coins. 

I started right away with positive results. VERY deep coins that were reading strong in volume and TID. Noticed good iron blanking and Black Sand disruption was more muted on the ears. Meaning easier to pick out targets from ground noise. 

Today's take, with trash:

IMG_2403.jpg.dbe6ac48691f6ddce3b6406b6655f820.jpg

The good>>>

Found more old pesos today than the last four put together. Same beach sites. I could tell the depth difference right away. Nonferrous targets just sounded better on the whole scale. Less chirpy, and good on 360 looks. 

IMG_2404.jpg

The Bad: 

While Iron up-scaling appeared to be in a better place there was one standout.

Large Old Nails. 
I NEVER have dug one of these in two years
of hunting with the D2 here. Today I started getting wrap-around targets that registered 80-86. This mimics my 10-peso coin, which comes in around 82 . After some trial and error, it was possible to hear Iron blanking on a 360 look and some elongation as compared to a coin object. But was much more difficult on deeper nails. 

This might take some ear training that I did not have to worry about before. 

IMG_2405.jpg

Also>>> XP should be ashamed of themselves for making noise cancel so hard to find.  I had no clue how to find it and did not do it all day in this test.  Thanks for the chitty button controls XP. 

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Also>>> XP should be ashamed of themselves for making noise cancel so hard to find.  I had no clue how to find it and did not do it all day in this test.  Thanks for the chitty button controls XP. 

Hold down the up arrow button (upper right) for 2 seconds and it does an automatic noise cancel.

7 minutes ago, abenson said:

Hold down the up arrow button (upper right) for 2 seconds and it does an automatic noise cancel.

Ya, YouTube taught me that when I got back to the condo. 🙄   The D2 is not very button user friendly. Especially with sausage fingers in gloves.  

10 hours ago, midalake said:

Large Old Nails

You really "nailed" that one. 🤣

Great report, I find the same thing going on so I bump bottle caps setting to 3, makes most but for the hardest forged and curved nails go full iron on a turn. I still get a few, the fields are loaded with shoe nails from animals and old houses. If I'm really in the thick of it I'll go to 5, at that point what do I have to lose?

Big nor'easter coming today, going to get the new remote rolled back and programmed. I'll probably have to wait until the high winds dry up the surface, probably by Monday.

Edit: Gotta add for those unfamiliar with the Deus 2, the shortcut buttons are well documented in the literature, but not as prominently as one would hope. I run into noise often especially with underground power lines, so I caught the hotkeys early on.

Screenshot_20240106_083834_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.768ba8c1b0ceb37eab72bb9bfbd91408.jpg

They call it "Automatic Frequency Scan". 

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Great report, I find the same thing going on so I bump bottle caps setting to 3, makes most but for the hardest forged and curved nails go full iron on a turn. I still get a few, the fields are loaded with shoe nails from animals and old houses. If I'm really in the thick of it I'll go to 5,

Thanks for the tip!!!  I will definitely try that when I think there is a nail. I was so focused trying the different programs. I set two programs each in Beach and Beach Sensitive with Max frequencies of 24 and 40.  Checking fringe targets between 4 programs can be a beast. 

That looks like a decent hunt!

I sometimes experience the opposite:
Crappy sounding signals turn out to be good ones more often with the D2, than with the Nox. I‘m still often unsure, if to dig or not. Perhaps I should experiment with fulltones instead of 5.

PS:
I dig a lot more trash.. no iron though.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:53 PM, midalake said:

Summary: I was really impressed with the overall difference between the two operating systems. Beach and Beach Sensitive used with 9"coil. Will provide all my settings if you want. 

Dave, thanks for doing this comparison.  Just a suggestion for the permanent record down the road (before you can no longer edit your original post), you might want to clarify in your original post which version was better for context.  Your subject line is ambiguous and you never explicitly mention whether 2.0 or 0.71 is better in your post, just that you were impressed with the difference between them.  I know most experienced users recognize you are probably talking 2.0 as being better but it is only implied not stated.  A number of recent detector “updates” from various vendors have broken things that worked in prior versions, XP is not immune to this, so I never just presume the update is better.  One way to misinterpret your post is that you were running 2.0 and reverted to 0.71 and felt it was better because some are testing 0.71 vs. 2.0 that way.  TBH I wasn’t 100% sure myself by the way it was written.  I only know that you mentioned in another thread you were running 0.71 for a week to get acclimated with it and switching to 2.0 so you could readily interpret the differences, but others who may have not seen that separate thread post wouldn’t know your methodology.