Minelab Gpx17 (17x13) Mono Coil Now Or Wait For Nf 16x10 Mono

Now I am a bit confused, there is JP's very detailed technical explanation of how "conductive ground" can negatively affect detector performance and at the same time there are (non-technical) observations in the field that support the opposite result.

8 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

So based on this information, am I correct to think that using the 6000 (with a mono coil) in wet or damp soil, from lets say a recent rain event in the deserts of the western US, would hinder the performance of the detector and it would be best to wait some days for the soil to dry out again?

You wait to go find gold your not gonna find much gold.  Not too often the soil drys out here in Montana and we find a whole lot of gold in muddy soupy ground. 

2 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

Now I am a bit confused, there is JP's very detailed technical explanation of how "conductive ground" can negatively affect detector performance and at the same time there are (non-technical) observations in the field that support the opposite result.

There is only one way of sorting out what advice is true and stopping the confusion, that is getting out there swinging the detector in the field whether wet, dry, hot, cold, windy etc., the golds always there. 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Norvic is right of course.  You can find gold in wet, damp and dry ground!  Go back and see if you can find it in different conditions.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions but I have found all my gold in dry and mostly comfortable conditions and prefer it this way.  I could make an exception if I was missing a significant amount of gold by choosing to hunt only dry ground but it appears from most comments that dry ground provides the best overall metal detector performance for both VLF and sensitive PI like the 6K.

Prospecting is a recreational hobby for me that lets me enjoy the outdoors at the same time.

I wouldn't plan a camping trip or a day at the beach if it is forecast to be wet or windy and it's the same for me regarding prospecting.

• Like 3