First Real Beach Hunt With The Manticore - Impressed!

I've been a PI guy for most of the past 10 years when detecting on the beach. Yesterday, I went down to the beach not expecting much but wanted to test some new headphones anyway. I started off with my beloved TDI Beach Hunter but late in the day came across a section of wet sand with lots of targets. However, a vast majority of them were trash so I decided to break out my new Manticore. 

Prior to this I had only used the Manticore in a couple of parks and some back bay areas. I wasn't sure how well the Manticore could handle the black sand on several of my local beaches. The wet sand at this particular beach was moderately mineralized so I was a little skeptical as to how the Manticore would do. The mode I was using was Beach Low Conductors and I believe that the Sensitivity was around 25. 

At first, the detector was chattering quite a bit and I could hear quite a few ferris targets as I swept the coil. But then, a clearly repeatable "high" tone turned out to be a coin followed by another and another. The black sand was having an effect on the detector, for sure, but I was still scooping out good targets at surprising depth and getting pretty accurate target ID's as well. Besides coins I was finding silver, including a Tiffany key chain, and several lead fishing weights. I did find trash as well but nothing like I was before with my pulse machine. I might have found gold if it wasn't for the incoming tide but I did get a small gold pendant earlier in the day with the TDIBH.

I wound up with 24 quarters, 28 nickels and 49 dimes. The 28 nickels was as surprising to me as the number of dimes and I don't know how much credit to give the Manticore. Maybe being in Beach Low Conductor mode was a factor? Most of the nickels were reading about 26 on the TID scale. This was one of the most memorable and fun hunts I have had. It's a minuscule sample size but very encouraging for the future. I never warmed up to the Nox 800 on the wet sand but I think the Manticore does the things that I wanted the Nox to do. 

IMG_20240109_080808__01.jpg

IMG_20240109_080824__01__01.jpg

IMG_20240109_081112__01.jpg

IMG_20240109_080841__01.jpg

2 hours ago, Compass said:

I wound up with 24 quarters, 28 nickels and 49 dimes.

🥱Ho hum....Is that all you could find Compass? Ha! That's a lot of diggin' dude!

You are correct on the nickels.. just below pull tab range at 26-27. Nice hunt, too bad there was no gold other than the small pendant but gold is gold!

2 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

🥱Ho hum....Is that all you could find Compass? Ha! That's a lot of diggin' dude!

You are correct on the nickels.. just below pull tab range at 26-27. Nice hunt, too bad there was no gold other than the small pendant but gold is gold!

Thanks Brad, Being a long-time PI user I'm used to a lot of digging! 🙂

5 hours ago, Compass said:

I wound up with 24 quarters, 28 nickels and 49 dimes.

All from the Manticore  or including the PI? Anyway great first beach hunt man.. seems like you getting along with Manticore well 

Nice hunt and a "25" for the sensitivity is most impressive, especially on any type of black sand beach. My sensitivity is good to around 22 and that's on white sand beaches. I've still yet to do my beach depth tests between the Manticore and GP3500.....too darn hot at the moment.

12 minutes ago, fishersari said:

All from the Manticore  or including the PI? Anyway great first beach hunt man.. seems like you getting along with Manticore well 

Thanks fishersari, Most with the Manticore even though I used it less than my PI. I don't think I found anything with the Manticore that my TDIBH couldn't find but I didn't dig as much trash and the Manticore was so much easier to swing. The target ID's kind of made the hunt more exciting too!

11 minutes ago, Tony said:

Nice hunt and a "25" for the sensitivity is most impressive, especially on any type of black sand beach. My sensitivity is good to around 22 and that's on white sand beaches. I've still yet to do my beach depth tests between the Manticore and GP3500.....too darn hot at the moment.

Thanks Tony, I usually like to run my sensitivity a bit hot so it is more chatty. I'm sure that my Beach Hunter is deeper than my Manticore but the Manticore is deeper than I was expecting and deep enough for most situations I'll be using it in.

Deep mode in general or low conductor...swear I was pulling coins out almost as deep as my tdi pro...this was at Pismo last Summer. I was using both machines one one day and the other  the next...

In Santa Cruz last year after the storms I got into a big patch...couple other guys detecting far off were eyeballing for a long time then finally they had to come investigate...at that time nobody else really had a Manticore as there were few out...It is for sure a salt water beach machine in the least of things...

strick 

I'm very confident in saying the Manticore is as deep as my GP3500 in white beach sands. I'll put this to the test soon. The Manticore with 15"x12" DD v GP3500 with 14" DD coil is going to be very interesting indeed. The test will be my 18K wedding band buried in a length of PVC water pipe....probably in damp beach sand.

1 hour ago, strick said:

swear I was pulling coins out almost as deep as my tdi pro

....or deeper 👍

6 hours ago, Tony said:

The test will be my 18K wedding band buried in a length of PVC water pipe....probably in damp beach sand.

Just tie a piece of string to it with a piece of masking tape on the other end for easy spotting. Post your results, sounds interesting.