GPX 5000 Or 6000 On 2 Gram Nugget?

Having a site with 2 gram size nuggets as the average is extremely rare for most of us. 

It's not a simple answer to your question, as gold density/shape, play into the equation, along with soil conditions and or hot rocks. Then you have to look at the depth of the 2 gram nuggets.  I'm assuming since you know they're averaging 2 grams, you also have an idea of their respective depth recovered?

As Rob Allison mentioned, the GPX-5000 (discontinued in US), was a very capable detector on solid 2 gram nuggets. It could also be tuned for various soil types and hot rocks better than a GPX-6000.  

If 2 gram is the average size, I'm expecting a few larger nuggets could be for the taking. If you're familiar with a GPX-5000 and not intimated with the 250X options of sub timings/settings and you're gold is at depth...and you don’t mind owning a model of detector that Minelab will eventually quit servicing? I myself would probably go GPX-5000. You didn't mention, but the new Garrett Axiom would be a decent choice also. 

Now if the gold is 2 grams and under with a variety of density shapes and or specimens, go GPX-6000 or Axiom and don't worry. 

I actually feel most of my detector selection between the two you mentioned, should also be the unit you feel most comfortable with. Confidence in one's detector and skill level is most important. 

Many informative pieces of advice from great hunters. 

Good luck and keep us posted of your choice and success. 

• Like 5

The 6000 is limited to the 17 x 13” as the largest coil option available, so getting the 5000 with a larger Evo spiral wound coil would complement your 6000 on solid multi gram + bits. I would bet the 17 x 13” Evo or 15” Evo would be the starting point where the 6000 drops off. Plus you have the option to use the larger bundle wound or DD coils in more extreme ground conditions on the 5000.

You still have the Goldhawk 10 x 5” and the 6000’s stock 11” for the more porous bits. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Detecting with CM said:

I own a GPX 6000, but if I were to get a GPX 5000, what coils should I get so as to pull away from the 6000 on two to five gram nuggets? 

If you are talking depth, a 15" evo, or an 18" evo, change to lithium battery and get signal amplifier to run higher gain.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 8:15 PM, phrunt said:

I'd put my bets on the GPX 5000 with 15" EVO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Minelab begs to differ........apparently the 6000 is superior on anything over 1g / 10g / 100g.....wow that's over 3 Oz's.

Hmmmmm.....I am skeptical of the extra star the 6000 gets in the last 3 weight categories 🤨

(That emoji above is the one with one eyebrow raised).....

Performance.jpg.7a63f05072daa6a19875e6700ca77aa1.jpg

• Like 2

Anything to help sales.  I've stewed on this chart for a long time as it's well, a lot of garbage mainly as they didn't give any indication of things like coils used and ground type, the idea of this chart I think was with the standard main coil in the package, so for the GPZ it's obviously the 14" DOD, the GPX 6000 is the 11" semi-spiral coil, the 5000 is the 11" Mono Commander and so on, then you have to take soil into account, then who knows what soil they tested them in.  The GPZ with 14" DOD standard coil on the 0.05 gram nugget is the most unrealistic of them all to me, to say it's the same as a 5000 with a 11" Commander is a joke.

And a 6000 being more sensitive than a Gold Monster, biggest load of garbage I've ever seen, but then, with their undeclared soil conditions perhaps they can manipulate it to fit the chart with the right soil type.

So, what Minelab are indicating there, is the 6000 with its 11 semi-spiral is deeper on a 1-gram nugget than the 5000 with the 11"  Commander Mono coil, and if they're going on averages across all types of gold such as the porous type the 5000 is weak on then they're very likely correct.   If the GPX had a 15" EVO on it for example, then we likely would see different results as the gold its good on it will hit deeper than the 6000.

The biggest problem with the chart is the lack of information given with it, but that lack of information was intentional, as it helps sales of the 6000 that the chart came out to market, and as we all know the new detector on the market has the most potential for sales so it's no problem for them to encourage sales to that rather than the others and they wanted people to "upgrade", they're only competing against themselves anyway with the chart, the chart was without a doubt to encourage GPX 6000 purchases.

What the chart doesn't take into account is when people swap their standard coil to another coil, and then the results can dramatically change and a little disclaimer at the bottom of the chart saying something like this would have gone a long way to giving them some credibility, to me the chart is pushing the boundaries and becoming false advertising.  They just needed to say something like "Tested using standard supplied coils with the package in highly mineralised ground in Western Australia, results may vary with other coils and ground conditions" 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I thought as much.......Poetic License......I give them 10 stars.

As far as their chart goes......I'm Googling for a big pile of horse manure.

New Minelab model chart.....

steaming-pile-of-manure.jpg

• Haha 1