AlgoForce E1500 And Pi Discrimination

• The title was changed to AlgoForce E1500 And Pi Discrimination Becoming Reality

49 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How can this possibly be real? I will refer you to a statement by famed metal detector engineer Dave Johnson. It is part of history now only available on the Wayback machine but has been in my mind for a long time:

DS: Are TID pulse units the hobby future? Or, what do you think will be the next great advancement in metal detector technology?

Dave: "About 1985 I built a real sweetheart of a discriminating PI unit, not very hot in air test, but it was simple, lightweight, powered by one 9 volt “transistor battery”, ran quiet in bad ground, had no bad habits, and you didn’t have to dig any trash. It morphed into a fully static TID machine which Fisher came close to releasing about 1989, but its reliance on fully static operation which was supposed to be an advantage, was in fact a fatal flaw for a TID machine. Stripped back down, it became the Impulse which was strictly all-metals.

This was way before my time so I'm probably missing some terminology, but what does he mean by a fully static machine? And in what way did that end up being a flaw?

I'm also curious if @Geotech could explain what the mechanism for TID was on this early PI, was it also done with just mono coils and not DD?

Interesting stuff. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jasong said:

This was way before my time so I'm probably missing some terminology, but what does he mean by a fully static machine? And in what way did that end up being a flaw?

I'm also curious if @Geotech could explain what the mechanism for TID was on this early PI, was it also done with just mono coils and not DD?

Interesting stuff. 

Static means non-motion, and if you are thinking normal motion mode detecting it is a fatal flaw. All detectors sold today work on a motion mode principle where they need to be in motion to detect. Why did they not see the obvious - make it the pinpoint mode, which are static / non-motion modes? Another mystery to me but in any case it looks to be that is what this machine is doing. As far as patents these days it reveals your method and encoding in firmware gives better protection in some cases. Or it is based on something Dave patented and expired already. Whatever, as long as it works. I hope. I am sure it will have limitations of some sort. There always is.

• Like 8

More on static non-motion. It is all about the detector autotune function. Before autotune you had a fixed threshold and any motion of the machine affected that threshold, calling for constant manual retuning, usually via a threshold reset button. Then autotune replaced that button, with machines constantly automatically trying to bring the threshold back to the preset level. If you hover over a target it disappears. The White's V/SAT was innovative in that it gave you the ability to vary the retune rate via "Variable Self Adjusting Threshold". It is the all metal version of reactivity. I go into the subject and it's history in great detail in the article below.

PI went though a similar evolution from manual tuning to autotune threshold as anyone can see fast if you simply stop the coil over a target. Most PI detectors have no pinpoint no-motion mode at all.

• Like 7

A stable target ID in a PI detector and pinpointing will be amazing for tailings and other iron infested spots if it works as stated! I cant wait for some of our experts on DP to get thier hands on the AF E1500! 

• Like 3

Slightly off the subject, Steve....that display kinda reminds me of the DFX Signograph.

Jim

• Like 1

• The title was changed to AlgoForce E1500 And Pi Discrimination
  • The title was changed to AlgoForce E1500 And Pi Discrimination Becoming Reality

I'll take mine to the beach not too long after getting it and test a few targets on the surface then bury them and see how well the Target ID works on a beach, I'll snag some video of the process, in my usual raw unedited way, call me lazy 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Interesting,

Any info on Price and Availability in the U.S.A.?

Nice to see someone thinking at least a little out of the box, if performance is competitive, and it can use legacy coils it could be a winner if at a good price, and it sounds like they are trying to keep price down, NOW THAT is Different.!

• Like 1