New Manticore Owner Any Tips

If you're a jewelry hunter I have found three men's 14k wedding rings that were a solid 36, never strayed off that number. I even air tested my wedding ring (it's 14k) and it also came up 36. Every single 30-31-32 has been a modern pop top. I still dig them because they sound so good and the 2D line presents them as a beautiful target but it's always a pop top. 

Women's wedding rings have all come up 22-24 with 24 being the most frequent target ID. 

You can hear every bottle cap so after digging 5-10 of them you should be able to walk over them going forward. 

The key as everyone says is to just log hours in many different conditions/environments. I'm having a blast currently hoovering a local park that is less than 20 years old and has a bermuda thatch grass that keeps everything no deeper than 3 inches so I have the sensitivity at 10 or less and it's like a coinstar machine blew up in the middle of the field. I know there's a bunch of rings and chains out there amongst the clad so I'm just taking my time as I have the park to myself. 

Have a great time as there is no better hobby in the world. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Keeping that sensitivity "tamed" is the way to go........usually better target ID and a cleaner 2D trace to go with it.

• Like 1

My best tip is to truly dig everything at first even if it "looks" like trash. I found a nice 15gm gold chain coming in at the lower left corner, around a 10 TID but super scratchy and blobby. 

It definitely takes a bit to get used to, coming from a NOX but is a great machine. I'd never go back to a D2 or 800 now. 

• Like 1

Good advice on the Manticore. Just got my new manticore,  a little cold to get out yet but I'll  be out soon. I'll be digging everything till I learn the machine and find out what all the excitement is about it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, masslawman said:

Good advice on the Manticore. Just got my new manticore,  a little cold to get out yet but I'll  be out soon. I'll be digging everything till I learn the machine and find out what all the excitement is about it.

You're gonna love it. Don't be afraid to try Prospecting Audio.....something totally different than tones.

I have been working with my Mani for a few weeks now (4-800s w 2 drowned, 3-CTX 3030 w 2 drowned, Excal II, can't drown) and find some really excellent advice above...keep talking!

Really like advice of "more with less"; more info and cleaner VID and 2-D  display with less Sensitivity.

Trying to drown mine now...we'll see.

Happy Hunting

12 hours ago, LawrencetheMDer said:

I have been working with my Mani for a few weeks now (4-800s w 2 drowned, 3-CTX 3030 w 2 drowned, Excal II, can't drown) and find some really excellent advice above...keep talking!

Really like advice of "more with less"; more info and cleaner VID and 2-D  display with less Sensitivity.

Trying to drown mine now...we'll see.

Happy Hunting

I can see why you may be hesitant or fearful of leaks on the Manti after your experience with the other detectors. I've been dunking mine every week now for 14 months with no problems. Not aware of any owners on the 2 forums I read having a leak yet.

On 2/19/2024 at 4:04 AM, TampaBayBrad said:

I can see why you may be hesitant or fearful of leaks on the Manti after your experience with the other detectors. I've been dunking mine every week now for 14 months with no problems. Not aware of any owners on the 2 forums I read having a leak yet.

Mine has been below water more than above water for over 1 year now and no leaks or problems.

• Like 1

A problem I see for a new user of the Manticore and other Minelab detectors is that Minelab does not include the detector user's manual, just two quick guides. For example, I just purchased a Manticore, plus the M8 coil, and had to search for the user's manual, just to figure the proper charging instructions for both the headset and the detector.  While I already know what to do in relation of charging currents (I have other Minelab detectors), general instructions for both how to charge the detectors and headset, plus how to use the detectors, should be provided in printed form.  It does not have to be a full version, just a booklet or something similar.

Tom,

I absolutely love the Manticore. I have found a lot of things with it. If you enjoy finding old coins, then you'll love the machine. The Manticore sniffs out silver consistently. It's also great in saltwater too.

If you get really bored, I wrote a story called, The Mythical Beast and the Harvest. You can read the story on www.freelandsadventures.com. You'll find the story in my blog page. There's also a story that I wrote called, Rises Above the Competition that you may find useful too. Both are Manticore stories.

I took a picture the other day from my top deck. If it wasn't for all of this snow, I'd be out detecting now. Waiting patiently for the thaw here on the Kenai Peninsula. At least the moose is enjoying my freshly plowed driveway. I'm just glad he didn't kick my truck. LOL

John 

IMG_20240226_132106327.jpg

• Like 3