Santa Monica Beach

Wow, what great beach erosion!

I've hunted that same beach twice in the last 3 days and the majority of what I found was dimes.  There are a lot of zincs and a few quarter but it is not much of a jewelry beach right now.  That little cut was made by the wind waves and it can change at any time but today I took a break.

Yesterday when I was there a guy took an electric bike that you rent into the surf.  He laid it down and then he went for a 'swim' with all his clothes on.  He was loaded or something.  He came back to the bike after about 10 minutes and laid next to the bike and waves were washing over him.  I couldn't let this continue so I propped up my detector and went over to him.  He didn't want me to help him.

I called 911 and waited for someone to show up.  In the mean time another guy went to help and this guy got him and the bike out of the surf.  This was right in front of a life guard station and a life guard who was in his truck.  They apparently knew him.  The other good Smartian got him up to about where you see the detectorist in the pictures above and the police showed up.  I told them I had called and I was told if they had any questions they would come to me if I was still working the area with my detector.

After about 20 minutes of talking to the guy they just left.  The guy refused help from them also.  He was wet, his pants coming off and he was just out of it but they have lots of guys like that that refuse help.  I had been reluctant to try and help him and this is why.  He is not ready and with the drugs he is on he may never be ready.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Denny said:

wonder if he dug up any gold?

Hhmmm... Let's talk about what I see there...

Nice edge to hope for, but...Still high tide and strong backwash (the one you don't want to be caught in)...Inshore wind and absolutely no way to stay lower than that...I'd do the same, just without detector and walking to breath fresh air by the ocean🥰

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I've hunted that same beach twice in the last 3 days and the majority of what I found was dimes.  There are a lot of zincs and a few quarter but it is not much of a jewelry beach right now.  That little cut was made by the wind waves and it can change at any time but today I took a break.

Yesterday when I was there a guy took an electric bike that you rent into the surf.  He laid it down and then he went for a 'swim' with all his clothes on.  He was loaded or something.  He came back to the bike after about 10 minutes and laid next to the bike and waves were washing over him.  I couldn't let this continue so I propped up my detector and went over to him.  He didn't want me to help him.

I called 911 and waited for someone to show up.  In the mean time another guy went to help and this guy got him and the bike out of the surf.  This was right in front of a life guard station and a life guard who was in his truck.  They apparently knew him.  The other good Smartian got him up to about where you see the detectorist in the pictures above and the police showed up.  I told them I had called and I was told if they had any questions they would come to me if I was still working the area with my detector.

After about 20 minutes of talking to the guy they just left.  The guy refused help from them also.  He was wet, his pants coming off and he was just out of it but they have lots of guys like that that refuse help.  I had been reluctant to try and help him and this is why.  He is not ready and with the drugs he is on he may never be ready.

I'm always on high alert when I go under that pier from 1 side to the next. They are often hiding and lurking in the shadows.

• Like 1