Find More Stuff Pt.2 - Caltopo

Nice mobile all in one tool.

• Like 1

Thats cool they made it into an app been using the on line version on the desk top for a while...it's great for gold prospecting...do all your scouting while sitting at home in your comfortable chair...too bad the old timers didn't have this stuff but then again there would not be much to look at when you think about it. lol

strick 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, strick said:

Thats cool they made it into an app been using the on line version on the desk top for a while...it's great for gold prospecting...do all your scouting while sitting at home in your comfortable chair...too bad the old timers didn't have this stuff but then again there would not be much to look at when you think about it. lol

strick 

We're working on ways to carry your phone so you can see it as well. 🤔

I think it might even be useful when beach hunting, over time the more reliable spots to hit would be more evident. I'm wondering if it's all that random? 😀

• Like 1

I hadn't thought of caltopo for this application. I have used it to track the growth of wildfires. Shows the heat levels and has a great overlay showing wind speed and direction. And now you have pointed out another resource for detecting. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Just now, Lost Scout said:

I hadn't thought of caltopo for this application. I have used it to track the growth of wildfires. Shows the heat levels and has a great overlay showing wind speed and direction. And now you have pointed out another resource for detecting. Thanks for sharing.

I did other posts on the forum regarding how to use USGS Lidar maps, topos and OnX Hunt, but the all-in-one award goes to this app. 🏆

Wrote to them today calling attention to the fact that there might be a lot of detectorist interest, I hope they respond favorably. 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I did other posts on the forum regarding how to use USGS Lidar maps, topos and OnX Hunt, but the all-in-one award goes to this app. 🏆

Wrote to them today calling attention to the fact that there might be a lot of detectorist interest, I hope they respond favorably. 🙂

Nice looking app, now if I could just get a good working phone to put it on because they don't work where I live.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice looking app, now if I could just get a good working phone to put it on because they don't work where I live.

Although expensive, Verizon is your best bet for coverage no matter what others say in rural areas. I moved here about 20 years ago, and became Director of Technology for the local school system, it wasn't until I met my wife that I got a cell phone. 😀 Didn't trust or like the damn things, still don't, but they are helpful. I'm glad I can still afford it on fixed income.

I talked the superintendent and county supervisor into renting county land for cell towers, and even still only Verizon works well here, there are a couple places I hunt where sometimes there is no coverage or it comes from another state. 😵 I have a 5G phone but only get 4G.

CalTopo lets you download maps where service is good, and will navigate and track even if there is no service. That's what it was designed for. GPS works most everywhere. You'd have to learn a few more things about it but it might be worth it. Depends on what you want to do.

• Like 2

I got a message that it's not available on Google Play Store....😩 

ON THIS DEVICE ! DUH.

I'll try using the phone instead of my even more useless now , chromebook ! 

GOT IT !  

11 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

I got a message that it's not available on Google Play Store....😩 

It's there, you have Android? 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caltopo.android&hl=en_US&pcampaignid=pcampaignidMKT-Other-global-all-co-prtnr-py-PartBadge-Mar2515-1

• Like 1